Do you guys know any techniques to balance complex Redox reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownEMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate how balancing equations is an art. It takes far too long to balance anything.

I had difficulty balancing:

Au + NaCN + O2 + H2O ---> Na[Au(CN)2]+ NaOH

Can anyone show me their way to quickly balance this.

Bear in mind, balancing this equation is part of a question with secondary complexity (balancing the equation to find how many moles of Au after Titration).

It took me too long to balance this.

Members don't see this ad.

To come up with a nicer way to solve this will come through intuition built through lot of practice. But IMO, doing the old half-reactions way is probably the most reliable, which is what you want in the middle of a nerve-racking test.

Having said that, here's how I'd do it if I wasn't allowed to do it the traditional way:
1. Look at the oxidation changes b/w reactants and products - I see that Au goes from 0 to +1; each O in O2 gets reduced from 0 to -2 (so actually O2 goes from 0 to -4).
2. Since Au provides the electrons, I'll need 4 Au to get 4 electrons to reduce a single O2; after this it's all downhill, since now you just have to balance both sides.
3. Put 4s before Au and the complex product; 8 in front of NaCN (since now there are 8 CNs in products); 4 in front NaOH to get 8 Na's in products; and finally a 2 in front of H2O to equalize the Os and Hs on both sides