Do you guys know what's written in your LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VFElf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somebody told me it's not polite to ask for your recommenders to show their letters of recommendation. How do you guys know what's written inside ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most people do know what is in their recs, at least I think. Personally I haven't a clue. Didn't ask for them to show it to me, although I think all but one would have. Med schools don't want you to know, thus the confidential, and I am just going along with that.

X

Originally posted by VFElf
Somebody told me it's not polite to ask for your recommenders to show their letters of recommendation. How do you guys know what's written inside ?

A few of my LOR writers have been kind enough to share the LOR with me after they sent it. I think this might be really common among those students/employeers who have worked closely with one another. All the people that showed me their letters were those I had worked very closely and published with.

If they wouldn't have offered, I would not have asked to see them. I think that asking them to see it can compromise their writing and may reflect itself on a poor LOR. So if they don't offer, I would really urge you to NOT ask to see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my prof emailed me a copy of the one he wrote, and I didn't even ask him. I was quite impressed too, 1 page and so personal and to the point :)

I didn't see any of my LOR's or really ask specifically. At my first interview, the interviewer started telling me stuff that showed up in certain ones. Then he stopped and was like, "wait, i'm probably not supposed to do that."
:laugh: