1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Do you guys think audio osmosis is worth it ?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by FreeMeDoctor, Mar 13, 2007.

1. FreeMeDoctor

FreeMeDoctor Membership Revoked
    Removed

i can considering buying it but havent heard many comments. I would appreciate your comments.

2. hmm...

hmm... I yam what I yam
    7+ Year Member

post this in the mcat forum.

personally I don't really think so unless you ride public transit regularly for long amounts of time during rushhour.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I liked it because I was able to listen to it while driving in traffic or when I was stuck somewhere and couldn't get to my books. It provides a pretty good review of the material. But I wouldn't recommend it to be your ONLY source of study material.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Member 870

Member 870 The Member...
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have it, and I don't think it's worth the price. I guess it's a good review, but I think it would be better to use the time spent listening to the AudioOsmosis on doing more practice passages. Just my opinion...

5. ClockworkDoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It should be called audio diffusion because there is no water involved.

6. alphaeve

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh:

7. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Second this. Even if you have a long commute, you're better off studying. The only time I used AO is while running, and even then, it had enough errors to be a bit distracting.

8. tch001

tch001 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I found it helpful to listen to in the car (I had an hour drive each way to my mcat prep class) and I thought it was really helpful to relisten to some of the physics and chem formula stuff just to get it into my head. but yea, if you don't have a long commute, your time is much better spent doing mcat prep packages.

9. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Even Kal has bad days...
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Around 60% of the body is water, so it might be ok to call it osmosis.

10. Ersatzious

Ersatzious Mayo MSTP MS1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As a friend gave his copy to me, I integrated it into my self-study plan as the step in between the pre-read of the relevant EK chapter and the in-depth/highlighter/annotating read. AO is pretty superficial, full of errors, and almost entirely worthless for organic chemistry, but it made subway rides or hours stuck in the dark imaging slides at least feel productive and less like stress-inducing "lost" time. However, I would not have purchased it.

That said, this topic has been discussed to death in the MCAT forum. Not searching is bad enough, posting in the wrong forum is even more annoying.

11. Sondra

Sondra UMC 2010
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I couldn't really get into it. In my opinion, if you are the type of person who learns from listening, then it may be worth it. I have to actively read or take notes while listening in order for it to be effective for me. My mind starts to wonder off, and before I know it, I am lost and have to rewind. They did have some funny stuff that would help you remember things, but they are really cheesy and annoying too. The only parts that I ever listened to thoroughly include the verbal section and the introduction. The rest was a waste of money for me.

I agree that my time was better spent taking practice test. When I had long commutes, I would do flash cards.

12. sirmalcs

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think that overall they are real good to listen to. But if you try to listen to them for detail and take notes, it takes way too long. I spent way more time on them then I thought I would but it was worth it in the end because it gave me a good set of 30 pages of notes I wrote to study over right before the test. I would say thought that AO is better suited for reviewing instead of maticulously taking notes to. However if you do want a set I will sell mine to you for my own buying price of $100.

13. scholj

scholj Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definately. AO in combination with the AAMC back tests helped me jump my score 10 points (24 to 34) between April and August. I did a lot of driving though, and other work where I could just put on headphones for hours.

It was most helpful in telling me what I needed to know and what I didn't need to know. That was my biggest problem in April. Well, that among other things. It definately depends on your learning style too. I'm very much an auditory learner.

Hope this helps!

And good luck!

14. studiddy

10+ Year Member

If you can find it cheap on ebay then buy it. There's no real reason not to, and if you have downtime or a drive you can throw it on. Certainly better than listening to the garbage on the radio. If you don't like it, sell it.

15. sehnsucht

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i listened to the CDs while I was riding my car to work every morning. Although I wouldn't rely on AO as my MAIN source of review, it complements other MCAT prep materials pretty well. I used my AO together with TPR Hyperlearning and I was able recall a lot of the concepts because I read and heard them being discussed during my review. Good luck!

16. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I love it. When my eyes get tired and my brain can't handle any more seriousness, Jordan and Jon's jokes sink in and make sense of the crap.

But, i'm in the club that didn't pay for it...a friend had it and i borrowed..

Don't pay full price, but if you can get your hands on it for downtime, go for it.

17. Blondnuttyboy

7+ Year Member

Anyway - there are times when you will not be looking at your books,notes,flashcards etc. but can listen to AO. Exercise is clinically proven to increase focus and study skills - so why not pop AO while hittin the track?

18. Raindrop423

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I've been using it and so far I'm pretty glad I bought it (reduced-ish price on eBay). I'm finding that it's useful even for fairly short walks to class - it's just a nice little extra review that's almost kind of relaxing, compared to staring at my EK books or something. I agree that I wouldn't ever advise using it as my sole source of review, but for a little extra reinforcement, it seems worth it. Another thing that's appealing about it is that it seems as though I'll be able to sell it back on eBay for pretty much what I paid for it...

19. meds2008

meds2008 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you can get it cheap then it is worth it. It will make your review more efficient (in a car or mp3 player in line at the bank, etc!) Remember: you are a FULL TIME student! (actually with lots of overtime involved!)

:)

20. AgentSik007

AgentSik007 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm glad I bought it because I would have felt like I didn't do enough without having played it during my subway rides. Overall, however, don't waste your money on it. Use you're commuting time to relax, my biggest mistake with the MCAT was not taking breaks when I should have...

21. drkox11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    you can have mine :D

22. RollSkins

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Someone gave me their stuff so it was definetly worth it for me! I don't know if I would buy it though. It is definetly a nice complement and has helped me understand some concepts and it nice to be able to listen in the car on long drives or any other time when I would just listen to music. That being said it if it isn't that expensive that it is a great compliment to the EK study materials.

23. HispurposOnCall

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I liked it because I was able to put it on my ipod and walk around at work and study and no one had to know.