This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunebugger12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your ECs look very impressive! However, honestly, they were very impressive before as well... I would personally definitely advise to reapply, but i would also encourage you to think what went wrong last time. Have you tried reflecting on it? Your ECs, MCAT and GPA are incredible. Maybe you dont interview well? maybe you should have applied to different schools?

Reactions: 2 users
I think your ECs look very impressive! However, honestly, they were very impressive before as well... I would personally definitely advise to reapply, but i would also encourage you to think what went wrong last time. Have you tried reflecting on it? Your ECs, MCAT and GPA are incredible. Maybe you dont interview well? maybe you should have applied to different schools?
Thanks for the kind words.
I think I was lacking a lot of non-clinical hours when I applied. I felt my interviews went well and received good feedback during them, but it's also very hard to gauge my own performance. I will definitely work on interviewing skills.

I'm trying to reach out to schools that I was waitlisted from for feedback, but no responses as of yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What did your school list look like last cycle?
50 hours of non-clin was probably a red flag but the rest of your app looked fantastic.

Reactions: 2 users
What did your school list look like last cycle?
50 hours of non-clin was probably a red flag but the rest of your app looked fantastic.
This was my school list from last cycle.
Stanford
WashU
Columbia
Cornell
Penn
U Mich
NYU
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Sinai
Case Western
Emory
Northwestern
Ohio State
Hofstra
Einstein
Dartmouth
UVA
Rochester
U Iowa
SLU
Western Mich
Sidney Kimmel
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UCD
UCI
CUSM
Kaiser
USC Keck

This was my school list from last cycle.
Stanford
WashU
Columbia
Cornell
Penn
U Mich
NYU
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Sinai
Case Western
Emory
Northwestern
Ohio State
Hofstra
Einstein
Dartmouth
UVA
Rochester
U Iowa
SLU
Western Mich
Sidney Kimmel
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UCD
UCI
CUSM
Kaiser
USC Keck

This looks like a very solid list. I'm surprised you didn't get more love from research-heavy schools like Einstein/Sinai, etc. Make sure your PS answers "why medicine" (maybe some adcoms thought you were better off as a PhD applicant) but I think with the additional 250hrs of non-clin, you should be golden this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
This looks like a very solid list. I'm surprised you didn't get more love from research-heavy schools like Einstein/Sinai, etc. Make sure your PS answers "why medicine" (maybe some adcoms thought you were better off as a PhD applicant) but I think with the additional 250hrs of non-clin, you should be golden this cycle.
Got it. Im currently working on rewriting my PS and I'll be sure to answer that question. I've been quite involved with research since the start of undergrad and was one of the reasons I wanted to pursue medicine. Do you think my significant involvement would end up hurting me? I've not been asked why MD as opposed to PhD on an interview yet.

Got it. Im currently working on rewriting my PS and I'll be sure to answer that question. I've been quite involved with research since the start of undergrad and was one of the reasons I wanted to pursue medicine. Do you think my significant involvement would end up hurting me? I've not been asked why MD as opposed to PhD on an interview yet.
I don't think so. Although take what I say with a grain of salt - I'm also an applicant this cycle. I'm in a similar boat as you since I also have lots of research exp. I have talked to a couple adcoms that are family friends and they all said it shouldn't be an issue if you answer "why medicine."

They've seen essays where the applicant spent 80% of it writing about their research. Research is great and it informs medicine, but you also need to write about experiences in the clinic/hospital and why you find medicine compelling. With your stats/ECs, you might also want to consider MD/PhD if academic medicine sounds interesting.

I don't think so. Although take what I say with a grain of salt - I'm also an applicant this cycle. I'm in a similar boat as you since I also have lots of research exp. I have talked to a couple adcoms that are family friends and they all said it shouldn't be an issue if you answer "why medicine."

They've seen essays where the applicant spent 80% of it writing about their research. Research is great and it informs medicine, but you also need to write about experiences in the clinic/hospital and why you find medicine compelling. With your stats/ECs, you might also want to consider MD/PhD if academic medicine sounds interesting.
My PS only has 1 paragraph related to research and my motivations for pursuing medicine because of it. The remaining body paragraphs cover my experiences from volunteering and how they relate to my reasons for pursuing medincine.

I have thought about doing MD/PhD. As much as I enjoy doing research, I don't think I can see myself doing research for the majority of my career as a physician. I would like to be in direct contact with patients more. My PI is an MD and splits time between the clinic and the lab but not nearly in the lab as some MD/PhD coworkers.

TowTrucker12 said:
Being involved won't hurt you; just be sure that you have an answer for that question (why MD as opposed to MD/PhD)--it's more like an interview-type question, anyway

Hello guys. I made a rough school list that is quite lengthy hoping for some advice to cut it down. I put an asterisk (*) next to the schools I will be a reapplicant at. Tagging @Goro @Faha. Thanks for all your help!

Stanford *
WashU *
Columbia *
Cornell *
Penn *
Hopkins
Harvard
Chicago
Duke
U Mich *
NYU *
Vanderbilt *
Pittsburgh *
Sinai *
Case *
Emory *
Northwestern *
Baylor
Ohio State *
Hofstra *
Einstein *
Dartmouth *
UVA *
Rochester *
U Miami *
Cincy
Iowa *
SLU *
Western Michigan *
Maryland
Sidney Kimmel
NYMC
Wake forest
BU
Tufts
UCLA *
UCSF *
UCSD *
UCD *
UCI *
CUSM *
Kaiser *
USC Keck*

Hello guys. I made a rough school list that is quite lengthy hoping for some advice to cut it down. I put an asterisk (*) next to the schools I will be a reapplicant at. Tagging @Goro @Faha. Thanks for all your help!

Stanford *
WashU *
Columbia *
Cornell *
Penn *
Hopkins
Harvard
Chicago
Duke
U Mich *
NYU *
Vanderbilt *
Pittsburgh *
Sinai *
Case *
Emory *
Northwestern *
Baylor
Ohio State *
Hofstra *
Einstein *
Dartmouth *
UVA *
Rochester *
U Miami *
Cincy
Iowa *
SLU *
Western Michigan *
Maryland
Sidney Kimmel
NYMC
Wake forest
BU
Tufts
UCLA *
UCSF *
UCSD *
UCD *
UCI *
CUSM *
Kaiser *
USC Keck*
If you can't get in this time around, it's not due to your ECs. Make sure rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

From your list, delete
NYMC
Wake
U MD
Tufts

ADD/Consider : Emory, U VM, U CO, USF

If you can't get in this time around, it's not due to your ECs. Make sure rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

From your list, delete
NYMC
Wake
U MD
Tufts

ADD/Consider : Emory, U VM, U CO, USF
Thank you for your input. I will make sure to rewrite everything.

Is UVM more friendly to OOS than the schools you recommend I delete? I figured these schools had stats closer to mine compared to U VM. Also, has U CO become more OOS friendly now?

Also, do you know of any schools on my list that tend not to like reapps?

Thank you for your input. I will make sure to rewrite everything.

Is UVM more friendly to OOS than the schools you recommend I delete? I figured these schools had stats closer to mine compared to U VM. Also, has U CO become more OOS friendly now?
Yes to both questions.