DO you guys think this is smart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

CAn any speak from experiance here?

I want to apply to a specific in stste school, i would most likely be applying next year cause im taking the january MCAT. I would like to call up the admissions office at this school and arrange to meet with then, and possibly arrange for a tour of the medical school. Do you guys think this is a smart idea, and do you think the admin office is likely to agree to this?
Im non trad kind of, just finished a 2 year masters right out of UG so im young

any one ever do this???
I really just want them to get to know me for when i apply

Members don't see this ad.

It's a fairly common practice to tour medical schools you are interested in prior to applying. Many schools have recruiting events for prospective candidates. Just call up admissions and ask if they have any organized events planned for prospective students and if not ask when you could come and get a tour and more information.

If you have the option of doing this, of course you should!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are a little weird about giving tours to people they haven't invited for interviews, but it's been my experience that the vast majority is more than willing to accommodate interested people. I think it would actually help you if you get an interview there because nearly every school will ask you "why do you want to come to this school." Saying that you've previously toured the school and fell it love with it might be a big brownie point for you.

yeah, a lot of school i've seen have links on their website for "Scheduling a Tour," I would check to see if the school you are interested in have such a link and if so, visiting them may be easier than you thought!

and if you have the money... thats usually the catch lol.

MSc44 said:
CAn any speak from experiance here?

I want to apply to a specific in stste school, i would most likely be applying next year cause im taking the january MCAT. I would like to call up the admissions office at this school and arrange to meet with then, and possibly arrange for a tour of the medical school. Do you guys think this is a smart idea, and do you think the admin office is likely to agree to this?
Im non trad kind of, just finished a 2 year masters right out of UG so im young

any one ever do this???
I really just want them to get to know me for when i apply

At my school, they keep track of how many times you do this, and if they are trying to decide to admit 2 different people, the one that demostrated more interest in the school would be admitted.

Kubed said:
Some schools are a little weird about giving tours to people they haven’t invited for interviews, but it’s been my experience that the vast majority is more than willing to accommodate interested people. I think it would actually help you if you get an interview there because nearly every school will ask you “why do you want to come to this school.” Saying that you’ve previously toured the school and fell it love with it might be a big brownie point for you.

This is highly unusual, and doesn't make sense.

I gave tours all the time to people in middle school, high school, college, AND interviewees.

OSUdoc08 said:
At my school, they keep track of how many times you do this, and if they are trying to decide to admit 2 different people, the one that demostrated more interest in the school would be admitted.

your not talking about more then one tour right???
u just mean going on a tour and then keeping in contact with them till and while you are applying?

OSUdoc08 said:
This is highly unusual, and doesn't make sense.

I gave tours all the time to people in middle school, high school, college, AND interviewees.
The only time I ran into a problem with getting a tour of a school was with my state MD school, U of Arizona. I lived about two hours away so I called before heading down. I was directed to the admissions department where I was told that the school was closed to visitors and that they only offer tours to invited students. I pursued it a little more but got no where. I didn't think to ask about their policy when I did eventually interview there, so it may be different now.

However, I had no problems with the local DO school and I know my school gives tons of tours to interested people.

I toured KCOM 3 times before I applied. They were very excited everytime I came and showed me different things each time. Call your school up and try to tour. Anything you can do to show interest in your school is a plus.

MSc44 said:
your not talking about more then one tour right???
u just mean going on a tour and then keeping in contact with them till and while you are applying?

Sure. The second time you can actually attend classes and labs or whatever.

Kubed said:
The only time I ran into a problem with getting a tour of a school was with my state MD school, U of Arizona. I lived about two hours away so I called before heading down. I was directed to the admissions department where I was told that the school was closed to visitors and that they only offer tours to invited students. I pursued it a little more but got no where. I didn’t think to ask about their policy when I did eventually interview there, so it may be different now.

However, I had no problems with the local DO school and I know my school gives tons of tours to interested people.

Yet another reason why I go to a DO school....