Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do you guys think this physiology class is hard?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bnleong, Dec 20, 2008.

1. bnleong

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Here are some sample exam questions from a physiology class that I am taking. The directions are to choose the answer that is incorrect.

7) Hemorrhage (20% volume decrease, short and long term responses):
    a) Short term responses include venoconstriction leading to increases in end-diastolic volume, vasoconstriction leading to increased total peripheral resistances, and cardiac output below normal.
    b) Given no external interventions other than stopping hemorrhage, total whole blood volume will be slightly below normal 18 hours post hemorrhage but hematocrit will remain approximately 20% below normal.
    c) One of the short term responses to the decrease in MAP is that rennin release increases leading to increased plasma levels of angiotensin II which results in vasoconstriction and release of aldosterone from the adrenal cortex.
    d) Decreased firing by arterial baroreceptors will result in simultaneous increases in sympathetic discharges of the SA node, increases in cardiac contractility and decreases in parasympathetic cardiac nerve discharges.
    e) 18-24 hours post-hemorrhage, decreases in capillary hydrostatic pressure and in plasma osmotic pressure will lead to bulk flow movement of ECF from the interstitial compartment to the plasma compartment.

8) Mean arterial blood pressure (MAP (all variables not mentioned are held constant):
    a) If ejection fraction increases, and parasympathetic cardiac nerve activity decreases, baroreceptor activity will increase.
    b) Under conditions where both cardiac ventricular muscle Ca+ ATPase activity in the sarcoplasmic reticular membrane increases, and ventricular muscle sarcomere lengths increase, MAP increases.
    c) Increases in plasma levels of peptide hormones angiotensin II and ADH are insufficient to increase MAP unless cardiac output increases concomitantly.
    d) Either venoconstriction or an increase blood volume will increase MAP due to the Frank-Starling mechanism.
    e) Causal reciprocal relationships between MAP and blood volume indicate that an increase in MAP induces a decrease in blood volume while increases in blood volume induce increases in MAP.

Have fun!:) Ill tell if you have the right anwers later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fly1346

7+ Year Member

LOL!!! You must go to stony brook, and are taking BIO 328 rite now with Cabot. Hes a great guy.. do your work, btw what you get on the last exam???

BUt yea guys, SUNY SB is famous for Cabot and his Choose the most incorrect answer class

3. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    those questions sound pretty fair for an undergraduate human physiology class.

and it doesn't sound different from "all of the following are true except" multiple choice questions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That looks like my physiology final from last year!

5. Tekbright510

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll take a shot:

C and D

6. drhouse42

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Looks like what I just did.

7. bnleong

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I got a 66 on the last exam. Not too bad since the average was a 44. But the final is in three days so its about time to hit the books.

Btw Cabot is a great teacher. Im just not too sure about this Mckinnon. Any reccomendations on how to study for the final?

8. bnleong

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm sorry. Nice try though any one else?

9. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  10. bnleong

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

11. c5413

I'm in this class too. -.-

Choice E for 7 is wrong. Osmotic pressure doesn't change.