Do you have a strong support pre-med network?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a non-traditional, do you have an overall strong support network with students, faculty and staff at your university as well as at your job or home life? Or could any of those be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, as a non-trad, I don't think it could be better... I have made contacts and am building relationships with the admissions committee at my school of choice, I've forged relationships with several doc's along the way whom are rooting me on and helping provide any opportunity they can, I have a great family with several professionals in Allied health positions to help with guidance, and I live with a current medical student who has offered tons of advice and info on what to expect. I have plenty of time left before I apply, so I only expect this network to grow and strengthen... I'm definitely feeling fortunate.

Thankfully, yes. I work in a small clinic with about 15 physicians, all of whom have been very engaging and supportive. Five or so of them have taken a strong interest in my journey and will all rotate taking me out to lunch or coffee to chat and answer questions and "talk shop" (journal articles, ethics, politics, etc.). Plus my wife is a physician a few years out of residency and has been a help as far as keeping my head in the game. There are also two other pre-professional students (one pre-dental and the other pre-med), and we have decided to take all our classes together, and study together. All three of us are nontrads, so our focus is intense, and we encourage each other throughout the semesters. I'm thankful for all of these people.

No to there being much support at my university. I haven't even visited the pre-med advisor at my school, because he's kind of pompous. As are quite a few of those types in the pre-med club, too, who want to turn everything into a "my daddy is bigger than your daddy" kind of thing. On the other hand, there are a few pre-meds like myself walking around and avoiding the drama. There are even a few non-trads. I've gotten along quite well with them and we're there to lend a hand to each other if possible. My support at home is very good. My in-laws live with us and take care of the kids during the day/after school and my husband is very supportive of me and what I need to get done to make myself a better candidate.