Do you have an expectation of wealth when you become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you have an expectation of wealth when you become a doctor?

• No

Votes: 28 17.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 95 59.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 37 23.1%

• Total voters
I like the way Forrest Gump said it: "And then one day, we didn't have to worry about money no more."

That's how I hope to feel. I want to be able to provide for my family and put my kids through college. I don't want excessive things--just the satisfaction of knowing that money is there if I need it and that I have no debt.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI: God isn't real.

Prove it. It takes just as much faith the believe God isn't real, as it does to believe God is. In fact, agnostics are the only people who with theological beliefs truly founded in reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
to quote the great Dr. Cox,

There are only for reasons people get into medicine:
1. Chicks
2. Power
3. Money
4. Chicks

Prove it. It takes just as much faith the believe God isn't real, as it does to believe God is. In fact, agnostics are the only people who with theological beliefs truly founded in reason.

One relies on building a belief system on stories, the other builds a belief system on freely-observable phenomena?

Last edited:

He doesn't have to. The onus is necessarily on the person asserting that an invisible, all-powerful being is chilling out here somewhere. I'm agnostic about God in the same way that I'm agnostic about the tooth fairy... how could I possibly know that he/she doesn't exist?? :rolleyes:

I maintain that we're all atheists - some of us just go one imaginary friend further... that is, unless you believe in Thor and Allah and Apollo and Zeus?

Oh, and to un-derail the thread: Of course money's great. What is the harm in appreciating nice things and wanting security for one's family?

1. Chicks
2. Power
3. Money
4. Chicks

:thumbup:

Im going to play the lotto as a doc.. maybe i will make money that way

thankx locus for giving my post some play, i was worried it would go w/o

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No I never expect to become wealthy as a physician. But my definition of wealth is being able to live a luxurious lifestyle without working. Someone is wealthy when it's more economic for them to manage their wealth (or pay people to manage it..) than work. Some physicians can have a semblance of wealth (often through living above their means) but few are truly wealthy.

However, I do plan on having some nice acreage in the South, a room full of amps/guitars/pianos/etc, a garage full of 20 year-old German cars and motorcycles, lots of plane tickets.. and maybe a Mig-17. who knows. :D

that stuff all takes money, but you can get it just by being "prosperous" and working hard, not wealthy.

i just do not get this debate...u work hard, get into medical school, work harder, graduate, work harder, finish residency, and then become a fully functional doc.

when u hit a few years past that fully functional doc part (5-10). YES. YOU SHOULD BE WEALTHY

i do not see why there is anything wrong with that if u deserve it and genuinely wish to help people.

Last edited:
untitled.bmp

you mean this camry?

Analogous to Snoop Dogg's "Don't crip walk if you ain't a gangster," I say don't put Lamborghini doors on cars if they ain't Lamborghinis. Does this even make sense you might say? Gallardo's don't come with Lamborghini doors, but if you do the conversion no one is going to think you're a jackass. A lamborghini is a lamborghini.

Last edited:
I don't know. Whenever I start reading a justification about living luxuriously it makes me feel bad because it means (1) that I will give in to materialism the way a junkie gives in to heroin and (2) that materialism is inhibiting our society from greater personal freedom.

It's about balance right? You can continue to use that argument for everything that you have or do in your life because there is someone in the world or even America that doesn't have that luxury. You help out when you can, and you indulge when you need to. Sometimes you gotta live life.

to me wealth is more than just having money.
it is also being emotionally welathy where i am happy with my surroundings, have a loving husban, kids, and family , and surrounded by great friends.
as long as i am making enough to have a decent house, cars, and save for kids tuition i will be happy.
this is a lot more important to me than making 300k a year and being miserable.
making 100k a year, which is very realistic as a doctor and having all the things listed above is what would make me feel wealthy

to me wealth is more than just having money.
it is also being emotionally welathy where i am happy with my surroundings, have a loving husban, kids, and family , and surrounded by great friends.
as long as i am making enough to have a decent house, cars, and save for kids tuition i will be happy.
this is a lot more important to me than making 300k a year and being miserable.
making 100k a year, which is very realistic as a doctor and having all the things listed above is what would make me feel wealthy

Is there a collegiate Miss America pageant you are practicing for?

someone needs to stop listening to Ray Comfort

Last edited:

1. Chicks
2. Power
3. Money
4. Chicks

So, that means the women who go into medicine either go in solely for the power and money, or are lesbian, yes?

I don't know. Whenever I start reading a justification about living luxuriously it makes me feel bad because it means (1) that I will give in to materialism the way a junkie gives in to heroin and (2) that materialism is inhibiting our society from greater personal freedom.

Being wealthy doesn't mean you have to live luxuriously. You can donate huge parts of your income to charity, if that's something that makes you feel good. But it's nice to be able to have the resources to do that. I have to save up for months to really have enough to donate a sizable chunk to charity now.

Hm, some people seem upset that a few of us put down "No". I don't see why. I'm not saying we won't be deservedly compensated. Of course we will, and gladly so. I expect to live comfortably. However, the poll asks about "wealth" specifically and as a few others stated, wealth is in the eye of the beholder.

For me: A wealthy person is someone who does not need to worry about money EVER. They can spend however much they want, whenever they want, on whatever they want without reserve. Hollywood actors are wealthy. Professional team sports players are wealthy.

Even when I downplay it for myself, for me to consider someone wealthy, they need to at least be a millionaire. As suggested above, one CAN become a millionaire on a doctor's paycheck if they are smart with their investments. HE will be wealthy if all goes right. I'm not so savvy on such things (though I'd certainly welcome a compatible woman who is into my life; we're just talking about ourselves though).

I expect to to make anywhere between $100k and $200k depending on my final specialty decision. I'll be someone who can afford to support himself and his family (assuming I make one eventually), can go on a nice vacation every now and then, can put his kids through college (maybe niece/nephew/cousins if I never have my own), maintain a decent savings, etc. I do still expect a need to budget carefully, as do most of you I'm sure.

Just for a frame of reference I guess, I grew up in the suburbs of New York. My dad was an NYPD cop and my mother was a nursing assistant in a high school health office. We were at the lower end of (but still within) what I'd call comfortable. I expect to be at the higher end of comfortable. I'll be quite satisfied with that.

The reason for my definition of wealth is pretty simple. Some people make absurdly huge amounts of money by the day, let alone yearly. With such gaps between $100-200k per year people and $1 million+ per day people, I think I'd run out of adjectives to describe them. As such, I reserve the term for people with at least $1 million at any given time (total spendable amount at one time, not per year or anything). It's not the end all, be all definition, just my complete and probably longwinded POV.

Edit/addition: I realize a person who just barely has over a million bucks can't spend it all willy nilly like a hollywood or sports superstar can. In the process of writing this I think I downgraded my standard for wealth to what I suggest in the concluding paragraph....ya know, in case that wasn't clear.

Last edited: