Do you have any foley bulb placement for induction of labor tips/tricks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas Shrugged

Family Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most everyone at my hospital places them digitally, but I just am seemingly unable to do it. I am at the point that I think I might try with speculum examination, but for whatever reason this is seen sort of as a failure at our institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Most everyone at my hospital places them digitally, but I just am seemingly unable to do it. I am at the point that I think I might try with speculum examination, but for whatever reason this is seen sort of as a failure at our institution.

I do them both ways. Usually with a speculum.

Who cares if it's done digitally or with a speculum. Just get it in.

The main problem doing it blindly is the catheter is very flimsy.

Cook has their balloon that has a channel for a stylet that helps over come this.

Reactions: 1 user
Place an upside down bedpan under the patient to tilt the pelvis up. Brings the cervix closer. Works like a charm.

Use your finger like a “hook” to bring the cervix closer to you, slip the foley balloon past your finger. And don’t let go until the balloon is filled, so that it doesn’t slip out.

Took me a while to get the hang of it too. Keep practicing.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes if you fill the bulb just a tiny bit it gives you something to hold on to to make it not as flimsy (obviously if the cervix is super tight it doesn’t work but if it’s soft and a little dilated it works like a charm). Once I get it where I want I keep my fingers on the underside of it keeping it where I want while the bulb gets filled up. You will eventually get it.