Do you have any idea what syndrome this is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If somebody can fix this problem, I would really appreciate it.
Anybody has the same problem I have?
Anybody can interpret this?

1. I sometimes (let say once or twice throughtout semester) don't get the grade I should've at least deserve. I study hardest as I can and get D on my grade. I think it's because I always slightly change my studying skills but I don't know.
2. Sometimes I do get good grade because I study hard. Sometime I get better grade than I should have.
3. I have a trouble concentrating while reading and listening.
4. English is my second language but it seems like my 4th or 5th language to me.

I need your help ! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you are suffering from a mild form of ADD.

I highly doubt your problem is attention deficiet disorder. I think you just have a slight case of bad study habits. You just need to find out what method of studying will provide you with the grades your are aiming for and then discipline yourself to stick with that style of studying. I don't think you doing bad on exams has to do with English being your second language. But if you think that is the reason then go to the learning center of your university and ask them for some help.
Good Luck :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi challenge,
Just wanted to give you my 2 cents...
I had a similar problem and couldn't figure it out. I eventually suspected it was my study habits. I purchased a book "Everything you need to know about: Studying" or something along those lines. My GPA rose significantly after I completed it. It taught me about time management and how set up a good schedule for myself. It also went into taking better notes and studying. I recommend it. It doesn't have to be that specific book. What you may need is just an overview of how to get more out of your study time. :)

Thanks for the advice. :) Yes I would definitely read that book and go for it.

But has anyone taken the ADD exam? I have taken it a couple of weeks ago. I haven't got the result yet but I think it was sooooo stupid test!! Any ******* can do stuff like pushing button when you see or hear #9 and #11. And I did so well on that.
It's irritating or even upset when I know I have huge problem concentrating since I was little, but my classmates think that I'm just making excuse. Besides that stupid doctor even think that I have some language learning disability rather than ADD since I did so well on that test. What do you guys think??

I hope it works out well for you. The problem may be your studying habit, but I think it is more like a language barrier problem. Don't get offended by this--English is also my second language. It is very difficult to concentrate on anything if your English reading or listening comprehension skills are not advanced. I would spend some more time reading. I understand what you are saying. People who have learned English as their second language have to work twice as much as native speakers. Moreover, reading comprehension skills are absolutely crucial in medical school (the admissions committee in most med schools weigh the verbal reasoning part of the MCAT more heavily than any other sections). good luck. :D ;) :D