"Do you have any questions for us?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lit20

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what kind of questions do you guys ask the interviewer when they give you the opportunity? i want to look like i am interested, but that i have also done my homework on the school.

Members don't see this ad.

ask about the admissions process...unless they already told y'all at the beginning..ask about turn around times, etc..everything ppl on SDN want to know! ;)

ask about match data, reputation of the school with residency directors, how well the students at your institution do at matching in an area of medicine you are interested in, student cohesiveness, opportunities to shadow doctors during your first year, stipends for research, international opportunities, etc.

whatever you do, don' t say no if they ask you if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can ask them how to use the SDN search option.

I think it's great to ask questions based on WHO the interviewer is! My first interview, I went in with these pre planned questions I was going to ask- but had no idea I'd get a surgeon as an interviewer. Well i ask about curriculum or reputation and he's like- -well i don't keep up on that.

Point is- INTERACT with the person. Not with the school.

If you have a Doctor- one question I ask is, "you've worked with residents and medical students, how do you feel the students from xyz school are trained here?
Turn the tables a bit - and ask him about health care- ask him what he believes is the greatest issue in health care. And if he could change one thing in the medical field what would it be. Doctors love to talk and to have their opinions heard. And you can seriously learn alot at the same time.

so go in not with general questions- but questions for whoever you might think may interview you.
Dean, Student, Surgeon, Research doctor, Faculty, ...

also a good one is, what's your typical schedule like (if the guy does research) .. how much clinical time do you put in as opposed to research time.