Do you have--"The Look"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tigress said:
What's Ali G?

One of the funniest tv shows ever!!! Well, sometimes people don't think it's funny. It's on HBO, though only reruns right now.

Members don't see this ad.

daisy958 said:
According to everyone I talk to, I must 'look' like a nurse....EVERYONE assumes that I have plans for nursing....I mean EVERYONE...and they are all surprised when I tell them otherwise (which I actually stopped doing, since they all go back to thinking nursing anyways) Guess I dont have the doctor look.....yet.

me too . . but honestly it has been a comment usually from older men (ie my granddad's generation), so i think it may have to do with that fact more than i look more like a nurse versus a doctor.

Chinorean said:
I don't mean to over-generalize, but I feel that among doctors there is a certain "look." When I look at other pre-meds, some I can visualize as doctors and some just don't look doctorly to me at all. It's not a race, gender or fashion thing, maybe it's a look of sophistication and intelligence. I imagine that's how they pick actors for shows like ER. Anyways, I feel that I don't have that look at all :( and I wonder if that will affect how patients see me!

Do you think you have "the look?"
I think the docs they have picked for ER recently are gay, I'd much rather have 10 doctor rocket Romano's on the show.
And no I don't look like a dork, which is what I would say the majority of docs look like...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
atrovariousg said:
I think the docs they have picked for ER recently are gay,
...and what exactly do you mean by this?

temmie said:
Hon
why dont you get into med school first, before you think about what "they" think. Besides how does it matter how they see you when you have their life saving medications in their life
ALso would like to point out that i think it is cool that you dont "look" like a doctor cos then you will surprise people with your intelligence.
Just imagine how wierd it'll be to hear a black lady speaking chinese. Yeah, just like that

Actually, I do often "surprise" people with my intelligence. Story of my life. Which is not flattering, because often times they assume I'm a stupid little girl. And that's not good for building patient confidence. I plan on being a surgeon, and I don't want someone to think that they're being stuck with Dr. Baby because they're being punished.

Flopotomist said:
...and what exactly do you mean by this?
Not homosexual, but spineless dweebs.

atrovariousg said:
Perhaps the poster should spend more time improving his vocabulary so that he can find appropriate synonyms for spineless dweeb.

hannahq said:
Wait, do you mean cantonese or mandarin? Because, I do think it makes a difference. :p
Which ever sounds more shocking coming from a black lady

CADreaming06 said:
me too . . but honestly it has been a comment usually from older men (ie my granddad's generation), so i think it may have to do with that fact more than i look more like a nurse versus a doctor.

Yeah, it's called being a woman.

atrovariousg said:

Wow, I felt sorry for you after reading that other thread about your rejection, but I think I'm beginning to agree with the adcom.

i think it's clear that obesity is not conducive to being or training to be a modern doctor. more consequence of associated health problems than actual appearance.

otherwise, i know lots of doctors going through alopecia.

I think I have the "Doctor's look." Whenever I'm in a hospital people mistake me for a doctor. One old lady thought I was her cardiologist. :p

Chinorean said:
I don't mean to over-generalize, but I feel that among doctors there is a certain "look." When I look at other pre-meds, some I can visualize as doctors and some just don't look doctorly to me at all. It's not a race, gender or fashion thing, maybe it's a look of sophistication and intelligence. I imagine that's how they pick actors for shows like ER. Anyways, I feel that I don't have that look at all :( and I wonder if that will affect how patients see me!

Don't know what I think of my own status, but I think that there are many people that I do think have that look that you are talking about.

I've never noticed any look. >_>

And I've shadowed a bunch of doctors.

I have no look - unless looking dorky is a "look"

Chinorean said:

Hey there,
You mean half asleep with thick Hoodie sweat shirt with a big V and sabres on the front; scrubs, Birkie Boston clogs, scrub cap (have cap head all the time) with a pocket stuffed with case log cards.

Yeh, that's the look alright. Sometimes I fancy it up with some Chap Stick too!

njbmd :)
Actually I look like someone in housekeeping. :laugh:

Flopotomist said:
Perhaps the poster should spend more time improving his vocabulary so that he can find appropriate synonyms for spineless dweeb.
Webster Gay: n. Meaning spineless dweeb or pillow biter.

Chinorean said:

ha, it varies from specialty to specialty. peds dont look like surgeons or pathologists