Do you have to be athletic/big to be a PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jman128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biomed major who decided against med school and I am looking for other careers in the healthcare field.

Everyone I know who is doing PT is an exercise science major and athletic. They have sports and sports training on their resumes.

I am not athletic at all plus I am short. I casually play soccer and tennis but thats really it. I know it involves a lot of moving around.

I am going to talk with a PT soon, but like to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 4'11" and when I visited schools I saw plenty of small people. I did volunteer at a geriatric clinic and occasionally a smaller person would need help, or they would assign larger patients to the male PTs. In general though, size doesn't matter. It's more about using proper body mechanics and asking for help if necessary.

Sports training will not be an advantage as long as you have your own hobbies/pursuits outside of school. You did say you play some recreational sport, so that should help.

The only thing I can see is that maybe after PT school if you want to work in the sport PT field, people with more extensive sport experience might have an advantage. But as far as getting into school and graduating successfully, you should have no problems!

Good luck and always go after your dreams...no matter what your size!!

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't have to be athletic. you don't have to be big. it helps to be strong if you are in inpatient rehab settings because you are more likely to have to move someone else's body parts.

You do have to have an interest in motion, observing motion, and it helps to have some experience and skill with motion so that you can teach your patients how to do what you want them to do. If you can't do it, how can you expect them to. Athletic people tend to have more of those skills but it is not necessary to have been a big, strong athlete.

No you don't, but it comes in handy if you have to beat up a chiropractor.:D

The PTs I know are a mixed breed. Some are in good shape, and others look like they need a personal trainer.

IMHO, your lack of a physical background is really no need for concern.