Do you have to do full time research or hospital work during app year?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

During the year that you apply (ie the cycle during which you do your interviews), and you aren't in school, do you HAVE to do something educational/medical/research relevant full time? I was thinking of working as a fashion design intern to pursue my hobby of designing clothes!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I can tell, adcoms seem to say that you need to be doing something productive, i.e. Not sitting around twiddling your thumbs. It might be better for one of the adcoms on the site to weigh in on how fashion design would be perceived but I imagine actively pursuing a hobby is a legitimate use of time. (@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @Catalystik )

Members don't see this ad :)
No - you can do anything you want! But be ready to answer the question "why medicine" and "why not whatever you are doing now." Those will come up and it should be fairly easy to answer.

During the year that you apply (ie the cycle during which you do your interviews), and you aren't in school, do you HAVE to do something educational/medical/research relevant full time? I was thinking of working as a fashion design intern to pursue my hobby of designing clothes!
No, you don't have to be involved full time in school, medically-related ECs, or research. Ideally you'll get a position that pays a salary or stipend (hopefully the one you mention will do so, but that's not a given for internships these days). One that requires people skills or teamwork is a good goal. Beyond that, have some activity related to medicine and something related to helping those in need (which could be the same gig). This could each be for 1-4 hours per week if your other ECs are already solid.

This involvement will give you good fodder for for filling out Secondaries, having something relevant to say in update letters (where allowed), and in case you end up reapplying.

Reactions: 1 users