Do you have to do research to do gen surg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pursuing general surgery but have no interest in research. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't enjoy doing research. I've often heard that you should only do research if you have a sincere interest. I don't want to do it just to pad my resume. Is it possible to match with a good general surgery program without the research experience?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You should only do it if it interests you. Furthermore (because I know this thread will go here sooner or later), you do not need to go to a "top" surgical residency if you do not want to do research (in fact, you most likely won't get one if you are honest) because that is one of the main reasons they are considered "the top;" their research funding contributes heavily to their ranking. If you want to do gen. surg. in a non-academic fashion, apply to a residency that generates more private practice surgeons than academic surgeons.

Despite the buzz that community programs aren't good places to train, there are many, many community surgery programs which are designed to train the community surgeon (as opposed to the academic surgeon) and don't require research to get in or stay in. The same is true for many university programs as well.

Granted, as SocMD notes, most of the "top" programs prefer applicants with research interests and some even REQUIRE it (ie, 7 year minimum training period) but this is not a hard and fast rule. There are many fine programs at all levels which would likely suit you and your interests.

best of luck.