Do you have to do undergraduate research through your own university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to do research elsewhere? For MD/PhD, when should one begin seeking research opportunities? What are the differences between a:thumbdown: publication, authorship, co-authorship, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you can do research elsewhere. You can do research at places that aren't universities, too.

No, you can do research elsewhere. You can do research at places that aren't universities, too.

I agree with Schrizto. However, it's often easier to get a spot at your home institution, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chemistry sparks my interest. I'm not sure if that'll help..

For MD/PhD (I'm an MD only student so my knowledge is limited) research is a bigger deal than for MD only admissions. It would make sense to me to start pursuing research as soon as an opportunity presents itself. This would also be helpful in deciding if research is something you want to do for the rest of your life.

Research is available at other universities, hospitals, companies and research organizations (don't know what else to call the NIH, fermilabs ect). Plenty of people do research at places other than their undergrad, especially in the summer when lots of places run internship programs.

For more info on student research I recommend reading Rnxman's faq in the student and research subforum.

The physician scientists subforum may also have some good info.