1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Do you have to have a bachelor ??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Cookie, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member
    10+ Year Member

I beleive that some schools don't require a bachelor degree as a reqiurment for admission. I was wondering if any of you guys have heard about students getting in without finishing their degree !! I got accepted into couple of schools and I would really love to take sometime off before starting in August.. the problem is that I stated in my AMCAS application that I will be getting my bachelor in June !!what do you guys think !!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Isn't that why they make you send your final transcript at the end of the year...to prove you have finished your degree? I have not heard of a school that does not require a bachelors in something.....

4. Cookie

Cookie Member
    10+ Year Member

I am positive that there are some schools which don't require a degree ..you just have to have finished 135 credit hours and have taken all the prerequisites !!

5. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit
    10+ Year Member

My pal is an RN and is a year away from her bachelor's, yet she has interviewed at MCW and New Jersey. I think she bought an MSAR and only applied to schools that specifically noted they accepted kids without their bachelor's.

6. Maple

7+ Year Member

Well..don't most schools require that you complete the degree you are working on before matriculating? I would think that having worked so hard for so long to get to this point, you'd want to get your reward..ie your BA. Besides..if for some reason you decide to drop out of med school (the mere thought is making my hair curl! :rolleyes: ), you'd at least have a college degree to fall back on!

Hey Cookie...why try to cut corners now..you are in. Pass your last few courses and be done with it!

btw.. which school was it? :D :D

7. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

they might not require it but would probably prefer it. also you should complete your degree so that you can enjoy college graduation and can have a backup degree in case medicine doesn't work out.

8. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

cookie, i think you've been accepted into a few schools based on the assumption that you would have your bachelor's prior to matriculating into med school, which you indicated on your AMCAS app you would have by june. there are a few schools that will take people without a bachelor's, but it is extremely difficult to be accepted this way--a college degree is strongly preferred. had med schools known that you weren't planning on finishing your degree, there is a very good chance that you would not have been granted an acceptance because you would have been evaluated in a different light. so to have an acceptance in hand and then suddenly decide not to finish college may be seen as 1) falsifying information on your application and/or 2) not fulfilling the final requirements that your eventual matriculation is contingent upon, and you may risk getting your acceptance revoked.

why would you go through 4+ years of college, only to not get the final degree in the end??? if you really want to take some time off, defer med school for a year.

9. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have to agree with Sandflea--pick a school that allows deferment--it's a FAR better solution that sneakily quitting school before graduating. It really is nice to finally graduate from college and it would really be a pity to have worked so hard as to get into med school without actually finishing. Seriously, stick it out a few more months and it'll all be over. . .

10. james72681

james72681 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

just call and ask your school. They can't take away your acceptance just for asking. I know people who have anticipated graduating by the time they got in, but have matriculated with over 90 hours.

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

12. party? ...some people say yes some say no. I personally think it depends on how whipped your finance has you.