Do you have to memorize the Orange Book to practice as a competent pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swatchgirl

Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have to memorize the Orange Book so we don't have to look up the availability of a generic drug in front of the patient whenever a question about generics pops up? If we have to memorize it, what techniques do you use to memorize it?

Members don't see this ad.

You are expected to know everything about all drugs...you do this using your brain

If you don't there's a computer to use but it may look bad if you don't know

Reactions: 1 user
Don't forget to memorize the pink book too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every state board inspection I've had they always ask me for an AB rating of a drug. If you don't memorize those codes you'll probably get fined.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely need to memorize the orange book. The computer could be wrong and you could kill somebody and get your license revoked and go to prison. Get started now!

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure you memorize lexi comp too.

You better memorize every patient and their caretaker's names after the first visit and greet them by name the next time. If you don't, they will definitely complain to your boss and the board, and you will lose your license and job all together.

You better memorize every patient and their caretaker's names after the first visit and greet them by name the next time. If you don't, they will definitely complain to your boss and the board, and you will lose your license and job all together.

Good advice! I will get on it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, yes. You should never look up anything in front of a patient so you have to know everything.

Every state board inspection I've had they always ask me for an AB rating of a drug. If you don't memorize those codes you'll probably get fined.

Definitely need to memorize the orange book. The computer could be wrong and you could kill somebody and get your license revoked and go to prison. Get started now!

You are expected to know everything about all drugs...you do this using your brain

If you don't there's a computer to use but it may look bad if you don't know

Got it! I will get on it!

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm glad I asked this question. I will start memorizing!

Oh, you guys...

1352444013579.jpg

This might sound kind of bad, but I've been a pharmacist for 4 years and I've never opened the orange book once.

I hate diltiazem. Why does it need five formulations and none of them are interchangeable?

Just work in a hospital, all you need to memorize is the UpToDate online database.

Reactions: 3 users
I would assume other retail chains have it linked like Walgreens so you'll never have to open it

Do we have to memorize the Orange Book so we don't have to look up the availability of a generic drug in front of the patient whenever a question about generics pops up? If we have to memorize it, what techniques do you use to memorize it?
Thanks for everyone's help! I'm glad I asked this question. I will start memorizing!

This might sound kind of bad, but I've been a pharmacist for 4 years and I've never opened the orange book once.

Folks, I got your jokes. I quote these replies because I am afraid they miss the jokes. Just to be sure for educational purpose, since the original poster is still listed with Pre-Health status, I don't want to see this person wasting time memorizing the Orange Book for these reasons:

We have new generic every year and there are new changes all the time.
Esomeprazole just came out for Nexium. Aripiprazole just came out for Abilify.

Rating for generics changes. Example: Concerta had a few generics and now only 1 is officially generic by Watson or Actavis. The other generics are not officially equivalent. I had to ask patient to get new paper with Methylphenidate ER so I could fill with the Methylphenidate ER I have in store.
Next month, that could change and I would not be ashamed to look up the rating again monthly.

If you ask me about generic at my counter, I would answer with:
Well, new drugs come out all the time and new reports about drug-drug interaction come out very often, I will be happy to look at the lastest information for you in my computer.
That's the perfect excuse to look in the computer because we are checking on the lastest information. Anyone will welcome this level of help.

I know how to check latest rating in Clinical Pharmacology. As of today, the Methylphenidate ER from Mallinckrodt I have in store is still listed as BX rating and I can not fill for Concerta paper.

And no, I did not memorize the Orange Book because, FDA wrote:
"To provide timely consumer information on generic drugs, the Electronic Orange Book is updated daily as new generic approvals occur."

You can check the latest daily update of Orange book here:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/default.cfm

Okay...okay...I got your jokes, some did not seem to get....

With that clear for the innocent public, let's continue with humor for I preach that laughter is the best medicine....
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/04/16/laughter-is-best-medicine-health-benefits-humor.html

Why don't you just order the correct one?

If anyone comes into this thread and takes it seriously, they shouldn't be a pharmacist

My interns need to come to work prepared. Didn't memorize the orange book? Fail. Forgot to bring your Bunsen burner to work? No, you can't borrow mine, fail. Forgot the words to the CVS cheer song? fail.

Folks, I got your jokes. I quote these replies because I am afraid they miss the jokes. Just to be sure for educational purpose, since the original poster is still listed with Pre-Health status, I don't want to see this person wasting time memorizing the Orange Book for these reasons:

We have new generic every year and there are new changes all the time.
Esomeprazole just came out for Nexium. Aripiprazole just came out for Abilify.

Rating for generics changes. Example: Concerta had a few generics and now only 1 is officially generic by Watson or Actavis. The other generics are not officially equivalent. I had to ask patient to get new paper with Methylphenidate ER so I could fill with the Methylphenidate ER I have in store.
Next month, that could change and I would not be ashamed to look up the rating again monthly.

If you ask me about generic at my counter, I would answer with:
Well, new drugs come out all the time and new reports about drug-drug interaction come out very often, I will be happy to look at the lastest information for you in my computer.
That's the perfect excuse to look in the computer because we are checking on the lastest information. Anyone will welcome this level of help.

I know how to check latest rating in Clinical Pharmacology. As of today, the Methylphenidate ER from Mallinckrodt I have in store is still listed as BX rating and I can not fill for Concerta paper.

And no, I did not memorize the Orange Book because, FDA wrote:
"To provide timely consumer information on generic drugs, the Electronic Orange Book is updated daily as new generic approvals occur."

You can check the latest daily update of Orange book here:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/default.cfm

Okay...okay...I got your jokes, some did not seem to get....

With that clear for the innocent public, let's continue with humor for I preach that laughter is the best medicine....
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/04/16/laughter-is-best-medicine-health-benefits-humor.html

Found the whiteknight.

memorize the clear book too

Don't take this thread as a joke. I get a lot of calls asking for drug equivalency ratings. Some from patients and a lot from MDs. I don't want to look inexperienced so I have it mostly memorized. Nothing says I'm incompetent like, hold on while I look that up. If I didn't know from memory then they could just use Google.

Don't take this thread as a joke. I get a lot of calls asking for drug equivalency ratings. Some from patients and a lot from MDs. I don't want to look inexperienced so I have it mostly memorized. Nothing says I'm incompetent like, hold on while I look that up. If I didn't know from memory then they could just use Google.

Can't tell if joking

It would be quicker for the MD to just use the FDA website than calling my pharmacy and getting through all the voice prompts to get a human being then getting put on hold until I finish what I'm doing.

Those who have ever worked retail know if I'm joking or not.

Um I do, Orange book is two clicks away. No reason to memorize.

what is the orange book?

I only know the red book