1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Do you have to socialize with other people who are being interviewed on interview days?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by boltedbicorne, Sep 5, 2014.

1. boltedbicorne

boltedbicorne Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    IMO I'd rather skip that unless there are some genuine cool and nice people interviewing with me because regardless of how "non-gunner" and "collobrative" each person will claim to be, I'd pretty much anything than the vast majority are gunning like hell because this is a competition. The question is, can I get away with that? Do you have to socialize with other people who are being interviewed on interview days? Meaning is it a negative mark if you don't?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CopperStripes

CopperStripes Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I found that the time for socialization was generally limited - waiting in line to get coffee, down time in between interviews, etc. Nobody expects you to have lengthy, animated conversations with the other applicants; however, people will probably notice if you're sitting in the corner rocking back and forth. Just find a happy medium and exchange some pleasantries when socially appropriate. Also, if you make it look like you're pouring over the contents of your applicant info folder, that tends to be an accepted alternative to engaging in conversation for some amount of time.

4. CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing Living the dream
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The interview day isn't a competition. If you suck in your interview, your socialization with other applicants is irrelevant. Likewise, if you do well, your socialization will also be irrelevant.

There is no "gunning" on interview day, so try to not be an a-hole and talk to people when the setting is appropriate. Keep in mind that a few of the people there may end up being in your class (if you get an acceptance). If you'd like the reputation of "that guy" from the start of medical school, go ahead and sit in a corner.

Full disclosure: I didn't try to talk with anyone on my interview days, but when people made conversation with me I happily talked with them.

DermViser, lmw312 and TheLionheart like this.
  5. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

The best way to think about the interview is to realize as soon as you step foot on campus you are being assessed. You want to show the faculty and the medical students that you are personable and not aloof. This means not only answering questions at the interview session; but talking with other faculty, students, and applicants when outside the session. You want to show them that you have the social skills of a competent physician. You may know it on the inside, but they don't know it unless you show it on the outside.

#4 IslandStyle808, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  6. BrCo

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Some of those applicants may be your future classmates and one day colleagues. Are YOU gunning hard and being unnecessarily competitive? If not, what makes you so sure everybody else is?

I can tell you that I'm definitely not gunning on an interview trail, but I'd like to get to know the other applicants. Do you know how many people I've talked to with awesome and amazing experiences? Why would you sell yourself short?

7. TheLionheart

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At my first interview, we had a fair amount of opportunity to socialize with each other, and we were all actually having a pretty good conversation. Lots of laughs, definitely helped to destress everyone I think. The Admissions staff even noticed and commented on it. These could be the people you spend the next 4 years with.. Why judge them before you've even laid eyes on them?

ridethecliche likes this.
  8. hoihaie

hoihaie Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    but getting to know people from a diff state and diff part of the country is like the most exciting part of interview day...

9. Itisneverlupus

5+ Year Member

Hmmm...sounds like gunner mentality fsho.

10. stevvo111

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's fun dude, just talk to people (isn't that one of the reasons why we wanna do medicine in the first place???). From my experience, it helps ease the tension of interview day. You get to talk to random people and hear about their lives; you're basically practicing for the interview question "tell me about yourself"...so I don't see why you wouldn't want to talk to people. IMO. I had some nice people in my interview, and it's a mini support network (we were all cheering for each other as we entered our interviews, and talked about it extensively afterwards. lots of camradery, pretty sweet). I mean no one I've met is "gunning" (whatever the heck that means), and it's pretty much worthless to be "gunning" as an applicant who hasn't even been judge by the interviewer. Additionally, unless you're completely incompetent, there is absolutely no way anyone can psych you into having a bad interview (again, unless you're completely socially and mentally inept).

But in the end, it's up to you. If you feel you have to speak to no one to have a good interview, do just that. But if you're confident that you can interact with people and still have a good interview, I'd suggest that, since the majority are capable of doing this.

deeproots likes this.
  11. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Our wily old Admissions dean WILL mention at our Adcom meetings sometimes that "this guy was very aloof at the group lunch and the tour guide noticed this as well. Very withdrawn." But this always gets mentioned in the context of some other flaw(s) the candidate displayed during the interview.

So based upon my school's experiences, yeah, we pick up on that. Will it be lethal? Probably not. And on interview day, people STOP being gunners.

Your mileage may vary, depending upon what the interview format is at your schools.

southernIM and Ismet like this.
  12. elprezidente

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Personally, I thought that it was sort of soothing to talk to people before interviews. It took my mind off of being nervous about the upcoming interview, and it got me in a more conversational mood that, I think, helped when I eventually was interviewed. But there were many people that kept to themselves and I didn't think anything of it. Keep in mind that besides meeting people that may later be your colleagues at the school your currently interviewing at, you may meet people that you eventually matriculate with elsewhere. I am currently an MS1 and one of my closest friends is a person that I interviewed with at another school.

13. mik30102

Pharmacist 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Why would you not want to get to know some of your fellow applicants/future colleagues... And this is coming from a strong introvert. Also for the love of god do not ask people for their stats at interviews :p.

14. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you get into the school, many of them will likely be your future class mates. If you feel that way now, how are you going to get through 4 years of med school?

Goro likes this.
  15. DielsAlder

Medical Student
    After going to some interviews, the other people I have had interviewed with all seemed very nice contrary to the "gunner" stereotype of premeds. It was interesting meeting people from across the country all going through the same process. Keep in mind, you might be going to school with some of these people in the future.

AspiringERMD likes this.
  16. heartsink

5+ Year Member

Interview socializing is your chance to throw as many wrenches into the mental gears of your competition as possible. Spread disinformation, plant the seed of doubt, and harvest their panic. There can be only one...

baloo4, idm6, DermViser and 11 others like this.
  17. Evisju7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Socializing= anxiety reduction.

It's a lot easier for me to talk to someone important after I've been talking to others for a few minutes than if I've come straight from solitude.

18. Australopithekus

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've been through a couple interview sessions for this cycle, and in both, we were specifically told that we weren't being judged outside of the actual interviews. So, it might not make a difference at most schools. That said, the people I've interviewed with have been really awesome! It's been fun meeting them and I'm looking forward to possibly running into a few again at later interviews.

At the very least, be courteous and professional.

19. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    And you believed them!?

20. Australopithekus

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ha. To be truly honest, not entirely. A few of us joked that perhaps the interviews were secretly meaningless and we were being judged purely on the rest of the day's activities. But, there were no faculty or admissions staff around for a good part of each day; most of our time was spent with M1 or M2s.

gyngyn likes this.
  21. Ismet

Ismet PGY-almost done!
    Administrator Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's certainly a negative mark if you don't talk to anyone. People who don't talk to anyone will stand out, and in a bad way.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or if you really think that the interview day is a competition. Your application has already been submitted and talking to other people won't change that. There are different interviewers and unless you are attending a panel interview, it's just you and the interviewer, so there's no competition and no way for others to bring you down there either. I'd suggest you stop thinking about it as a competition and just make small talk like everyone else.

This is not an issue for the vast majority of applicants who conduct themselves appropriately during the day, but M1s or M2s can certainly report things to admissions if they feel strongly enough. Everyone you meet during the interview day, from your interviewer to the janitor cleaning the bathroom, should be treated with kindness and respect (and by "you" I mean general you, not you specifically).

22. deeproots

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    On interview day, you're surrounded with people involved in the admissions process. They're judging you based on your potential to become a doctor, which involves a huge amount of interpersonal and communication skills. Do you really think they want to admit people who look stuck up and anti-social?

I'm fairly introverted, and I've found that one of my favorite aspects of the interview-day process was learning about the other applicants and their experiences.

Also, no offense, but you sound like one of those "gunner" personalities that you're bashing in your post.

DermViser and IslandStyle808 like this.
  23. oingoboingo

Medical Student
    I loved talking to other applicants during interview day! You're stuck there all day anyway, might as well make the best of it and be friendly. One of my good friends is a classmate I met during our interview. Other interview friendships only lasted a day, but still it was nice to have someone to split the cab to the airport, grab a drink while waiting for our flights... I think the adcoms want to see that you can play nice with others.

24. mysdnhandle

mysdnhandle Joe the Plumber
    Removed

#23 mysdnhandle, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  25. ruedjgtc

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I usually made dinner plans with other applicants if possible, or at least a bar social (off the record). Interviewing, and meeting applicants was probably one of the highlights on my interview trail and I'm still in contact with a few of them now.

Don't be a stick in the mud =)

DermViser likes this.
  26. DermViser

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ironically enough, you sound exactly like a gunner. I guess we see in others what we are ourselves. You would be exactly what medical schools try to rule out bc those type of people tend to have problems esp. during the clinical clerkship year.

ruedjgtc likes this.
  27. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some of the fellows I work with became friends with people they met on the med school/residency/fellowship interview trails. They still keep in touch and hang out at conferences and stuff.

Totally agree with @DermViser that you sound like you're gunning pretty hard.

28. SouthernSurgeon

Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At our residency interviews, the applicants basically spend the entire day in a large conference room. There is ample downtime, when current residents will come in and chat, answer questions, etc. There is also a tour and a lunch.

The applicants who seem disinterested or aloof/too-cool-for-school always get noticed and commented upon later.

ridethecliche and DermViser like this.
  29. DermViser

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You mean you wouldn't want to work with someone who sees you as gunning like hell and believes you are in competition with them?

LA1004 likes this.
  30. idm6

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    "Hey, you guys all heard about the room change, right? Sucks that they're making us walk all the way across campus, and in the rain no less, but we better get to _____ building in a hurry. Go ahead, I'll see you all over there."

road2md, hoihaie and kk123 like this.
  31. Afford

2+ Year Member

It would be nice to meet new people.