Do you have to switch your residency (driver's license, car registration and insurance, etc) to your current state when moving states for school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgw97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically, I'm moving from northern Indiana to southern Michigan (1.5 hr drive) for school. Michigan car insurance is stupid expensive and I'd really like to keep my current insurance. My current "permanent" address is my parents' house and they're not moving. Can I keep my ID, car registration, and car insurance at my parent's address in Indiana and drive in Michigan for 4 years? Would not switching my ID and residency impact my ability to qualify for medicaid in Michigan?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to switch license plates and driver license if you don't want to because you're a student (meaning not a permanent resident). But you will have to update your address with your car insurance and your monthly payment may change based on area.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to change your insurance to where you will be living. The rest, no, as students aren’t residents and most states don’t count your time there toward residency status while you’re a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this same question actually. Don't some states have a rule that you must change drivers license within 30/60/90 days (depending on state)? I would prefer to keep everything in my parents state

I got pulled over and the officer in CT told me I had to change my residency to CT even though I’m a student. I don’t know a single student at my school who’s done that, so I just ignored it.

When I moved I changed all my stuff immediately, because the state I moved to was way cheaper than the one I moved from. However, almost all of my classmates didn’t change anything, especially the ones who used their parent’s address, as you’re doing.

You may run into problems if you don’t go home for vehicle inspections though. And out of state plates can make you a target for tickets.

I had this same question actually. Don't some states have a rule that you must change drivers license within 30/60/90 days (depending on state)? I would prefer to keep everything in my parents state

Most states have that rule, but most states also have an exemption for students who are not actually becoming residents. However, it may actually be cheaper where you are moving so you might want to look into that.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but sort of interested in this as well... i had to move states for residency and the place I moved to has the most expensive insurance in the country.... ahem. So im staying on my home states insurance now. Whats the worst that can happen?
But i will have to change license and plates for sure at some point right?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but sort of interested in this as well... i had to move states for residency and the place I moved to has the most expensive insurance in the country.... ahem. So im staying on my home states insurance now. Whats the worst that can happen?

I mean the worst that happens is you don’t have sufficient coverage and you’re driving illegally and they find out when you get pulled over or into an accident.

Reactions: 1 users
You are destined to get into an accident and your coverage denied because you did not disclose your real location/where you house your vehicle. This is like the IRS. You WILL get owned by this. Changing your legal residency is potentially avoidable depending on the states' stupid rules but the insurance company is not gonna happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Residency is different than med school. My co-interns have already started changing their stuff to my state. It isnt worth the risk. You’re living/working in a state for a minimum of three years. Moving for a job actually counts

Got it. I'll look into changing insurance and all that as soon as I can. Surely there is some time of grace period? I just moved here 2 weeks ago and it would suck to get boned so early on. No pun intended.