Do you have to write essays/personal statement for residency applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just re-reading my secondaries for nostalgia's sake (I need more hobbies) and was wondering if we have to go through the same process for residency applications. Anybody know?

This is of course so I can start on my essay now.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just re-reading my secondaries for nostalgia's sake (I need more hobbies) and was wondering if we have to go through the same process for residency applications. Anybody know?

This is of course so I can start on my essay now.

Yes. Similar process. Online application called ERAS. This is what you use to enter activities, awards, and personal info. You also enter a personal statement. Your school uploads your transcript, dean's letter and letters of recommendation.

No secondaries, but because of the match process most people have to attend more interviews than they did in med school.

So the actual application is cheaper, but the interview process is more expensive than med school and the waiting process is more stressful (if you peak at the residency or ERAS forums we are all waiting 9 more days with bated breath)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you write about?

(and by that, I mean the answer for AMCAS PS would be "why do you want to be a doctor")

Do you write all about why you want to pursue the specialty you are applying for, or what?

What do you write about?

(and by that, I mean the answer for AMCAS PS would be "why do you want to be a doctor")

Do you write all about why you want to pursue the specialty you are applying for, or what?

Why that specialty and what you want to do with your career.

Edit: reading comprehension fail