Do you know any of the advanced standing students in your class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of you dental students, I was wondering if you know any of the advanced standing students in your class who are foreign graduates....(in case your school offers such a program).

In case you do, could you share with us some info please, such as how do you see them doing? what class where they placed in? etc....

On the International forum the great DrRob :D shared some good info with us, which helped us clear our minds about the school he went to. 'cause right now we're on the appl. cycle, just as pre-dentals are, and we are just as confused as them. :confused: :scared:

Originally posted by DrRob
A girl in my class was an advanced standing student from INDIA
I think she only scored 83 on part 1. I don't think there emphasis is on part 1 - its more like if a space becomes available, they want to fill it. Marquette looks at the whole applicant not just the numbers. Traditionally, Marquette is decent clinically - I think only 2/75 failed clinical boards - but below average on national boards - although I did above average on both part 1 and 2.
Originally posted by DrRob
Marquette has a very diverse class - I loved my class - we had such a good time. Advanced standing students I think will get the orientation with freshman, but start in second year. I think that you would also be exempt from some basic science courses like physiology and pathology! Visit the campus, the new school is beautiful and Brian Trecek is great.

Any input will be great, thanks......

Members don't see this ad.

Three advanced standings (foreign dentists) in my class of 91 students... One from Poland, one from Egypt, and one from India.

They were with us since the end of Freshman year, and were exempt from most of the basic sciences courses because they had already passed their NBDE Part I before coming to my school.

They are doing well in my class-- Their prior clinical experience did help them out quite a bit during 3rd and 4th years.

I have 10 Advance Standing Classmates in my class. They all came into my class this year (2nd year). They're foreign dentists from Cuba, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Argentina, Peru and India. There are 3 males and 7 females.

3 of those 10 were AEGD participants at Nova last year and they finished that program and applied to the DMD program and got in. Only 2 out of 10 Advance Standing classmates took the NBDE Part 2. For these 2, they're waived out of more classes than the other 8.

For example:

All 10 of them are waived out of Pathology
the 2 took the NBDE Part 2 are waived out of Pharmacology and Pathology

So far, since we're only a month into our 2nd year, we only had one major exam. They seem to do fine. Some excels in preclinical labs such as Endo, Fixed, and Removable, but some are not so efficient.

Regardless, they're all very happy here and they're all pretty close with one another. Also, one other thing, their GPAs are not compared with us, they do not rank amongst us regular dental students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a few but none of them are in my class. All of them got above 95 on their Part 1's and they're having an easy time so far.
Most are indian or SE Asian.

Thanks UBTom. do you have any idea how they did on NDBE?

Pasha, what school are you in?. Thanks.

Originally posted by Yah-E
.....Also, one other thing, their GPAs are not compared with us, they do not rank amongst us regular dental students.

Why is that? If in the future the want to go a specialty program, how will they be ranked? do you have any idea how they did on NDBE? Thanks.

Something else Yah-e. You said there's 10 of them. Did 10 spaces became available in the regular 2006 class? Or Nova just added them to the alredy full class of 2006?
'cause I called Nova, and they said their advanced placement is space-based and they have only 1 or 2 spots for 2004 entering class. The girl was speaking quite fast, like she wanted to get rid of me or something....:confused: So I was just wondering about the drastic change from 10 in the 2003 entering class, to 2 in the 2004 one.

BUMP

Someone else?