Do you know anyone who has been dismissed from medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Failure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently found out, at the end of my first year, that I have been academically dismissed due failure to successfully remediate a course after a series of unfortunate events.

I would appreciate any stories anyone can provide about people they know who have been dismissed from medical school. How are they doing? What are they doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you gone through the appeals process? I know two people who appealed academic dismissals and won. I also know two who lost their appeals and were dismissed. One is applying to the Caribbean and the other is applying to PA school.

There's also someone on hte DO school who was dismissed and ended up getting into another U.S. med school. Go to the DO board and ask. There are a list of U.S. schools that will look at previously dismissed med students.

If you have an appeal, work your butt off on it. It may work out. If not, it's not the end of the world. I wouldn't go to the Caribbean, but there are some schools that will look at previously dismissed people.

Yes, but it won't help you. The person in question was already repeating a year and was pretty much miserable being there. So they failed again, and went off to do something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently found out, at the end of my first year, that I have been academically dismissed due failure to successfully remediate a course after a series of unfortunate events.

I would appreciate any stories anyone can provide about people they know who have been dismissed from medical school. How are they doing? What are they doing?
Friend got kicked out of a US med school first year. He failed a course because he had some personal issues at the time and the dean refused to let him repeat the year (which was the usual way to handle the situation). He went to the Caribbean for med school the next year.

My advice to you (and to him) is to fight the dismissal as much as possible. My friend scored 99% on the USMLE but is worried about getting a good match because at the end of the day he'll be a graduate from the Caribbean. If you can help it, don't put yourself in that situation.

The main question: do you want to stay in medicine?

If the answer is yes, then fight the dismissal and look for med schools that will consider your application. A very good friend of mine received a dismissal, she appealed, won, repeated a year and now she is happily continuing being a very good medical student.

If the answer is no, then I would not waste time/money on trying to hang on to something you deep down don't really want. You are a very intelligent young person (if you weren't that then you would have never gotten through the sieve to get into med school). You have the world of possibilities open to you!

No just severely misinformed IMGs about the two digit score.

Right, the two-digit USMLE score was 99 (not the percentile). Point being, even though he's a capable person he will have a hard time matching because he did not graduate from a US med school.

One guy in my class just straight failed out after first year. I believe he got a MPH and is doing cardio research at Arkansas Children's Hospital. Another girl remediated first year then failed a second time and got kicked out. I have no idea what she's doing.

This story won't help out the OP in the least, however, it still is pretty awesome.

First semester of med school, we had a kid get kicked out. Why? Well, apparently the cops busted into his apartment for a drug bust (word was he was involved in an ecstasy ring. He was self admittedly on roids.). When they opened his fridge up there were two human brains. Obviously this alarmed the cops, you know, human body parts in the fridge and whatnot. What really happened was that he stole the two brains from the anatomy lab. Now, why he would do that and why he was keeping them in his fridge, I never did find out. His anatomy partner said she knew, but never spilled the beans. In any case, kid was dunzo. Kicked out, banned for life.

This story won't help out the OP in the least, however, it still is pretty awesome.

First semester of med school, we had a kid get kicked out. Why? Well, apparently the cops busted into his apartment for a drug bust (word was he was involved in an ecstasy ring. He was self admittedly on roids.). When they opened his fridge up there were two human brains. Obviously this alarmed the cops, you know, human body parts in the fridge and whatnot. What really happened was that he stole the two brains from the anatomy lab. Now, why he would do that and why he was keeping them in his fridge, I never did find out. His anatomy partner said she knew, but never spilled the beans. In any case, kid was dunzo. Kicked out, banned for life.

funny thing, I just heard this story for the first time this past week... all
I could think of was, "winning!"

funny thing, I just heard this story for the first time this past week... all
I could think of was, "winning!"

It warms the depths of my depraved heart to know that the legend of this trustee of modern chemistry and questionable necromancer continues to live on in the hallowed halls of LSUHSC-New Orleans.

When my pediatrician was in med school, he took a brain home with him to study via a very crowded public train in Chi-town. :laugh: He loves sharing that story.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some people pinch skulls from anat lab, but a brain?? :wow:

Right, the two-digit USMLE score was 99 (not the percentile). Point being, even though he's a capable person he will have a hard time matching because he did not graduate from a US med school.

This is patently untrue - they have a lower chance of matching into more competitive specialties but anyone with a 99 (so, 230+) who's an IMG probably has a great chance of matching into medicine, peds, FM, etc somewhere in the country.

it always scares the crap out of me when i read stories about people who flunk out...makes me want to live in the library 24/7 just to make sure it doesn't happen to me

What would you say would be some common themes to these people?

One of my solid C friends dropped out in the 4th year. He completely lost interest, to be honest I don't think he was ever very interested, and just stopped going. He works in business now and does well. The school offered to let him take a LOA and repeat 4th year, he initially accepted taking ~6 months off. After we all graduated he moved home and took a pharma job.

Yeah, he committed a felony during orientation week. Even stuck around for the first semester of M1 until he got convicted and imprisoned.

Yeah, he committed a felony during orientation week. Even stuck around for the first semester of M1 until he got convicted and imprisoned.

Interesting story...care to elaborate?

i got out

and i know it was you who snitched

Most of the time when people fail, its usually because of some personal issues taking up too much of their time, not for lack of intellect. Most common causes:
(1) relationship drama: A guy in my class had an on-again-off-again relationship with some girl, with her banging someone else in-between. He failed two courses in a row and got kicked out.
(2) unavoidable personal issue: a girl in my class, her grandfather died a week before exams for the course. My school allowed her to remediate.
(3) some ridiculous **** that most med students shouldn't worry about: see above post about brains.

Although the details will vary, most schools will allow you to remediate a course, especially for a good reason.

I was dismissed from medical school, and ultimately I appealled and was readmitted. If you still want to attend medical school, and you have a solid basis for an appeal, then you should definitely go through the gruelling process, and chances are you'll get another chance. Luckily you're only a first year and could probably easily start over at another medical school. If you don't want to attend medical school then you can do whatever you want with your life and tragically the answer is not likely to come from these boards.

Voidlogin is right... it's not a problem of stamina or intellect. Usually there is a problem of personal issues. Even though we're still in school, medical students are NOT little kids. In elementary school, (normal) kids do not have relationship drama, no one is banging anyone, no one has parents or grandparents who are dying, and no one is playing with skulls (hopefully). Okay, I know there are some kids with hard lives, but for the most part kids are kids.

In medical schools, it's natural to want to have a relationship. At that age, most people's parents or grandparents are developing health problems. Essentially, we are adults and we're people who are entitled to have feelings.

Friend got kicked out of a US med school first year. He failed a course because he had some personal issues at the time and the dean refused to let him repeat the year (which was the usual way to handle the situation). He went to the Caribbean for med school the next year.

My advice to you (and to him) is to fight the dismissal as much as possible. My friend scored 99% on the USMLE but is worried about getting a good match because at the end of the day he'll be a graduate from the Caribbean. If you can help it, don't put yourself in that situation.

dude, caribbean has nothing to do with it. he can still match well.

Voidlogin is right... it's not a problem of stamina or intellect. Usually there is a problem of personal issues. Even though we're still in school, medical students are NOT little kids. In elementary school, (normal) kids do not have relationship drama, no one is banging anyone, no one has parents or grandparents who are dying, and no one is playing with skulls (hopefully). Okay, I know there are some kids with hard lives, but for the most part kids are kids.

In medical schools, it's natural to want to have a relationship. At that age, most people's parents or grandparents are developing health problems. Essentially, we are adults and we're people who are entitled to have feelings.

:thumbup:

Seriously it does suck when you are in medical school and you found out your girlfriend is banging another guy. I feel for this guy. It does get better though when it happens to you the 2nd time.

Seriously it does suck when you are in medical school and you found out your girlfriend is banging another guy. I feel for this guy. It does get better though when it happens to you the 2nd time.

I'm pretty sure it sucks to find our your girlfriend is banging another guy regardless of medical school status. Perhaps the best reason not to have one.

When my pediatrician was in med school, he took a brain home with him to study via a very crowded public train in Chi-town. :laugh: He loves sharing that story.
Been there, done that LOL

But that was a while ago, I don't really think anyone remembers it anymore. At first I showed it to my landlord, who thought I was fooling her and it wasn't real at all, the smell in the garbage a few days later proved otherwise.

I was a few months shy of starting my m1 year and I had a retinal detachment. Had I waited (like i was planning to do) on seeing my doc I would have A. potentially have some blindness and B. would have had to bail from my class. I ended up deferring the year..and ultimately ended up at another school the next year.

lolwhat?

Some pro-tips for you: maybe you should only seriously date or form relationships with people whom you can form trusting monogamous relationships with, or whom are looking for monogamous relationships. If you're repeatedly getting cheated on you need to either stop being such a door mat, be a better significant other, or stop finding yourself in malignant relationships. If someone can't respect you or your boundaries then you need to DTMFA.

We had someone caught selling drugs. He was dismissed. I don't know what happened to him. Most schools will give second and third chances. There are even schools that offer a decelerated schedule in which you take 6 years to finish, rather than 4.

I was dismissed from UVM for not relenting in arguing a grade.
I am trying to put together a petition on change.org that fights administrative bullying in the medical profession.
The petition is "stop administrative bullying in the medical field."
Even if you haven't been thrown out of the medical field, but are just fed up with working with abusive people, please feel free to sign up as well.

Has an online petition ever worked :confused:
I don't think so.

We had a someone who was dismissed after remediating first year and not doing well enough. I don't know if he failed again or not.

lolwhat?

Some pro-tips for you: maybe you should only seriously date or form relationships with people whom you can form trusting monogamous relationships with, or whom are looking for monogamous relationships. If you're repeatedly getting cheated on you need to either stop being such a door mat, be a better significant other, or stop finding yourself in malignant relationships. If someone can't respect you or your boundaries then you need to DTMFA.

1.) Um, I'm pretty sure that no one enters into a relationship with the expectation that the significant other will end up cheating on them.... 2.) This individual was using something called "humor." Many med students apparently lack it? :rolleyes:

1.) Um, I'm pretty sure that no one enters into a relationship with the expectation that the significant other will end up cheating on them.... 2.) This individual was using something called "humor." Many med students apparently lack it? :rolleyes:

Orly