Do you know of any non-board certified rads and how difficult is the rads board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyebolit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone (especially precticing radiologists) comment on whether it is possible to work as a non-board certified radiologist for those who finish radiology residency in US. What kind of opportunities are there? And how difficult is the radiology board exam. Thanks a lot. Appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear the boards for radiology are one of the toughest, b/c you have to know basically all the organs and diseases associated with them. But if you like and know the stuff, you should be fine!

Currently you could find work somewhere, probably not in a very desirable location.

You may have some problems with insurance carriers and hospital credentialling comittees. Many groups no matter how desperate would probably not look at you. Although I do know of a non board certified rad working in southern illinois making a good living.

You could probably do locums or work at some VA until you do pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you in training? You already wondering about passing boards? Don't sweat it. The writtens are not difficult probably 85% pass rate if not higher. The orals are more difficult with only 70% passing and the rest conditioning or failing on the first attempt. The good news is 95% of all rads will eventually become ABR certified. To not pass ever you really have to be bottom of barrel.

You can still work as a noncertified Rads, but many groups will not hire you. Most groups will have a stipulation that you are certified in 2 years or you will not become partner. But even in that sceanrio you can still work and the work in the current market is not hard to find.

thanks for the info guys. I understand that 95% pass the boards. The problem is that I really hate tests (guess after so many years of taking them I really developed a distaste). I just have heard from several people that Radiology boards are the toughest of all the specialties and though I;m not sure how true this is, it kinda scared me. Can u also please comment on how much u are tested during ur residency and how it is compared to other specialties. Thanks for the help.

I understand that 95% pass the boards.

When I took my exam ('01), they told us that 75-80% pass on the 1st try, while about 15% of others get a 'conditional pass'. You can fail up to 3 of the 10 sections and receive a conditional pass, which means that you return a few months later to be examined only in the sections that you failed.
About 5-10% fail the exam and most of those who fail the 1st time don't pass on subsequent attempts, apparently.
Check out www.theabr.org