do you know of anyone that . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peetie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone know about anyone getting into an allopathic med school in the recent (5-10 year) history? I know several that are older (1960s or 70s) grads, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any real successes that anyone had. I know most schools claim they don't require a degree, and some (UCSF) actually encourages you to apply early, but I'm curious about whether anyone actually knows someone, and if they were just unreal (4.0 39T and nobel laureate) or something.

Thanks!

peetie

Members don't see this ad.

Huh, could you clarify your question, do you mean people who got in with only 3 years undergrad?

peetie said:
Hey all,

Does anyone know about anyone getting into an allopathic med school in the recent (5-10 year) history?

yes, i personally know about 120 people who got into an allopathic med school last year alone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most traditional students will not have a degree when they are admitted - they will still be in their senior years.

While some people do get accepted to med school and matriculate without a completed undergrad degree, they are definitely the exception. The ones that I know of were just a class or so away from their degree. In fact, one of them was allowed to use med school credits to complete his undergrad degree.

Basically, even though many schools list a min of 90 credit hrs, don't plan on it.

velocypedalist said:
yes, i personally know about 120 people who got into an allopathic med school last year alone!

glad i'm not the only one who thought this is what the OP was asking...i thought it was just me who was confused

Psycho Doctor said:
glad i'm not the only one who thought this is what the OP was asking...i thought it was just me who was confused

actually i think velocypedalist was being sarcastic :laugh: Still don't understand what the OP is asking though

I guess I've gotten so sick of re-reading and editing that I didn't do it to my own piece.

Yes, I am asking about people who will apply to enter w/o a degree (traditionally after 3 years of college). I know a lot who have done dental school this way recently, and a few MDs from a long time ago, but my counselor didn't know of any b/c the SoM attached to the University I attend changed its requirement about 8 years ago so they now REQUIRE a degree prior to matriculation. I will only have 1 course and two lab sections to take next year, and then a bunch of research before I can graduate w/ my B.S.

This is something I should've posted back in April or May, but I'm doing it now, after I've finished all my secondaries and such, instead. I'm just curious if anyone actually knows of anyone who succeeded in this . . .

Sorry for being so confusing!

A friend of mine got into Yale MS during his third year of college last year. I don't know what his stats were, but he was a very smart guy so I'm sure they were amazing. He had enough credits to graduate, but he deferred Yale a year to get a double major. Unfortunately, he died suddenly this summer, so we'll never know what he could have gone on to accomplish.

peetie said:
Hey all,

Does anyone know about anyone getting into an allopathic med school in the recent (5-10 year) history? I know several that are older (1960s or 70s) grads, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any real successes that anyone had. I know most schools claim they don't require a degree, and some (UCSF) actually encourages you to apply early, but I'm curious about whether anyone actually knows someone, and if they were just unreal (4.0 39T and nobel laureate) or something.

Thanks!

peetie

yeah i know quite a few people who got in last year. i also know quite a few who didn't.

Wiggy73 said:
A friend of mine got into Yale MS during his third year of college last year. I don't know what his stats were, but he was a very smart guy so I'm sure they were amazing. He had enough credits to graduate, but he deferred Yale a year to get a double major. Unfortunately, he died suddenly this summer, so we'll never know what he could have gone on to accomplish.

oh my gosh, how tragic, what happened to your friend?

It was his heart. The news was a complete shock - he looked completely healthy and never mentioned any kind of problems, and I used to see him at the gym. One morning, out of the blue, the university just sent out a mass email with the news. It definitely shook me up, since he was such a great guy.

Wiggy73 said:
It was his heart. The news was a complete shock - he looked completely healthy and never mentioned any kind of problems, and I used to see him at the gym. One morning, out of the blue, the university just sent out a mass email with the news. It definitely shook me up, since he was such a great guy.

wow, that's terrible; i'm so sorry. sometimes life sucks