Do you know someone "in way over their head"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backcountryrez

IN HOSPITAL ON PAGE (ugh!)
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know one (or five) during our rotations. Right now I have a friend who is diving in head first, wanting to cover every service other residents don't want to approach with a ten-foot pole. She seems to think it would fast-track her into being Chief, but I just told her it would make her burn out faster than my last marriage.

I'd like to show her advice from this forum to steer her in the right direction. Do you all know or have known someone who got out as fast as they came in because it was "too much"?

Members don't see this ad.

We all know one (or five) during our rotations. Right now I have a friend who is diving in head first, wanting to cover every service other residents don't want to approach with a ten-foot pole. She seems to think it would fast-track her into being Chief, but I just told her it would make her burn out faster than my last marriage.

I'd like to show her advice from this forum to steer her in the right direction. Do you all know or have known someone who got out as fast as they came in because it was "too much"?
I am confused. Does your friend have a choice about what to cover? The nightmare services were.mandatory at my residency, and every residency I have ever heard of. Also we only got a handful of electives in any event, and none during Intern year.

Reactions: 1 users
the only variable I have seen residents control for is what "track" they request for their schedule

ie ICU wards wards wards ICU wards elective elective might be the magic combo for a nervous breakdown

the only variable I have seen residents control for is what "track" they request for their schedule

ie ICU wards wards wards ICU wards elective elective might be the magic combo for a nervous breakdown

My ideal schedule: icu elective wards vacation wards elective icu

Reactions: 1 users

Does she currently seem to be having issues? If not, you could mention your concerns about her burning out to her, but then you should back off and let her do her thing. If you are concerned about her mental health (she seems depressed, struggling with residency duties, substance abuse, etc), then I would suggest encouraging her to go to her chief, her advisor, the PD, or some other trusted faculty for help. (You could even offer to go with her if she wants.) But beyond that, if she shuts you down and tells you she's fine, you'd do best to watch your own plate and let her (and her advisor) watch hers without you offering any further input.

Reactions: 1 user