Do You Know What I Hate!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerful_squib

Snoop dogg resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... this is a little game that we played in my basic acting class... and you know what, it really helps to let out some premed/mcat/application tension.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I HATE!!!!

People who are already in medical school... who "shadow" doctors! They take away all the doctors worth shadowing with out volunteering first like many of us premeds do. I HATE IT!!!! They only get to do it because their parents somehow know the doctor in question.

Now all of you fellow SDNers declare to the heavens what you HATE!

Members don't see this ad.

People who are already in medical school... who "shadow" doctors! They take away all the doctors worth shadowing with out volunteering first like many of us premeds do. I HATE IT!!!! They only get to do it because their parents somehow know the doctor in question.

:confused::confused::confused:

Med students shouldn't shadow? Or are you referring to pre-meds who have guaranteed admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
... this is a little game that we played in my basic acting class... and you know what, it really helps to let out some premed/mcat/application tension.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I HATE!!!!

Now all of you fellow SDNers declare to the heavens what you HATE!

No better way to find interest in a specialty than to shadow... Grow up.

:confused::confused::confused:

Med students shouldn't shadow? Or are you referring to pre-meds who have guaranteed admission?

No it's a medical student... came into the volunteer office and said that she was going to shadow a doctor and needed the application for it. The coordinator tried to explain to herthat it was a program for college students but she said that she already had gotten permission from the doctor.

It just really pisses me off because there is a waiting list of already qualified pre-med people who did the required volunteer hours and can't get a doctor to shadow. I don't think it's childish or silly at all, when a person who has already gotten into medical is taking away from a person who wants to go to medical school.

No it's a medical student... came into the volunteer office and said that she was going to shadow a doctor and needed the application for it. The coordinator tried to explain to herthat it was a program for college students but she said that she already had gotten permission from the doctor.

It just really pisses me off because there is a waiting list of already qualified pre-med people who did the required volunteer hours and can't get a doctor to shadow. I don't think it's childish or silly at all, when a person who has already gotten into medical is taking away from a person who wants to go to medical school.

* That medical student probably already volunteered a lot in undergrad, in order to get into medical school. She's paid her dues.

* She's not trying to maliciously take away a shadowing spot from you. Oddly enough, medical students are expected to shadow too. At my school, shadowing a doctor (4 times, I think) was a requirement to pass 1st year.

* 1st and 2nd year students SHOULD shadow a lot. If she wants to do something very competitive (like derm, ortho, plastics), she needs to start making connections early on. Shadowing also helps med students decide early on what specialties they absolutely hate.

Don't worry. You still have quite some time left before you can even think about applying. You'll get your chance.

I hate when I am in bed about to fall asleep and I realize that I forgot to brush my teethj. If I don't brush my teeth I fall asleep really soon, but if I do get up and brush my teeth then I'll be wide awake and not be able to fall asleep for probably another half-hour to hour.

1. cell phones in movie theaters

2. Pennsylvania drivers on the NJ Turnpike.

What exactly is the problem?

Med students have the right to shadow physicians as well.

I think powerful_squib is trying to say that there was a waiting list to shadow the doc and the med student basically cut to the top of the list?:confused: But, if it's already arranged between the doc and med student, then there's nothing to be pissed off about, just make your own connections with docs.

I think powerful_squib is trying to say that there was a waiting list to shadow the doc and the med student basically cut to the top of the list?:confused: But, if it's already arranged between the doc and med student, then there's nothing to be pissed off about, just make your own connections with docs.

Exactly. If the med student cut to the front of the line, then, yes, that's a problem. But if there was a pre-arrangement, then I don't see what the big deal is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate when I'm pushing my girlfriend's dogs in the face and they get those weird eye-boogers on me.

I hate canine eye boogers on my hand.

1. Neurotic pre-meds who ask SDN to practically write their secondaries.

2. People who ask if eating, breathing, farting, etc. are extracurricular activities they can put down on their application.

3. SDN posters who ask very trivial questions that they could easily find the solutions to if they ask their pre-med or major advisor.

Should I go on? :p

I'm going to have to say the opposite (in good humor, and without any spite or malice) and say NJ drivers anywhere in Pennsylvania.

I'm going to have to say the opposite (in good humor, and without any spite or malice) and say NJ drivers anywhere in Pennsylvania.

Not as bad as NY drivers on the Garden State Parkinglot or NJ Turnpike :p Be glad they don't come to your area so much because you don't have the beaches. God I hate summer ;P

3. SDN posters who ask very trivial questions that they could easily find the solutions to if they ask their pre-med or major advisor.

Should I go on? :p

Actually, from experience, SDN tends to be much more accurate than pre-med advising. My pre-med advisor was flat-out wrong on several things that hurt me during the application process

I think a lot of questions on SDN could be more easily answered by calling specific med schools themselves.

Given that most drivers in the left lane going 60mph have PA plates, they usually receive the works- high beams, horn, AND the finger. Sure, we could just go around you, but where's the hospitality in that? :p

Actually, from experience, SDN tends to be much more accurate than pre-med advising. My pre-med advisor was flat-out wrong on several things that hurt me during the application process

I think a lot of questions on SDN could be more easily answered by calling specific med schools themselves.

Well I'm sorry about your situation, the pre-med advisor at my school is very up-to-date with the admissions process. I just don't like how people keep asking if applying on AMCAS in August is late, or even worse, if applying in early July is late :p Stuff like that grinds my gears.

Picture3.jpg

Given that most drivers in the left lane going 60mph have PA plates, they usually receive the works- high beams, horn, AND the finger. Sure, we could just go around you, but where's the hospitality in that? :p

Yeah, you're talking about my mother :laugh:.

That's because NJ state troopers like to camp out in the bushes just waiting to pull people over. PA state troopers aren't nearly as bad as them.

Yeah, you're talking about my mother :laugh:.

That's because NJ state troopers like to camp out in the bushes just waiting to pull people over. PA state troopers aren't nearly as bad as them.

I swear to g-d, our highway patrol is like invisible! You don't see them until after you pass them going 80 mph, when you slam the brakes hoping you won't get pulled over :p

Well, I have great disdain for the Jersey Sweep! Thats when the Jersians decide to cross all four lanes of traffic in one shot. The best part is when they return to the third or second lane... that's called the Dust Pan.

Well, I hate LA drivers (even though I am one). Ever been honked at for going 70???

Ever been honked at for going 80 mph in the right lane?

Ever been chased down by a person for a good 10 minutes because he things you cut him off? To add to the chase, he flips you off at the end.

the OP's gripe has a weird parallel in the world of ERs

do you realize how many people call their doc to meet them at the ER and the others waiting for care get pissed because they think the guy who arranged to meet his doc has cut ahead of them in line?

for all the OP knows, the doc opened up a shadowing slot just for the student but for liability etc he has to have her do the paperwork like a premed would do, so there's not really any line cutting at all

so, what I hate? people who have hissy fits over their own wrong assumptions.

I see the OP's point. It does seem kind of annoying when someone who's already "made it" takes time away from someone who is trying to build a relationship for a recommendation or something else.
But at the same time in two or three years when the OP is a med student he/she is prolly gonna be annoyed with all the pre-meds and hopefuls who are competing for the doctor's attention and just want a letter.

I see the OP's point. It does seem kind of annoying when someone who's already "made it" takes time away from someone who is trying to build a relationship for a recommendation or something else.
But at the same time in two or three years when the OP is a med student he/she is prolly gonna be annoyed with all the pre-meds and hopefuls who are competing for the doctor's attention and just want a letter.
Shadowing isn't just about "making it" in though. From the pre-med perspective, yes. From the person trying to figure out which specialty to setup their 3rd yr. elective in that they need to schedule during second yr, no.

The world doesn't revolve around pre-meds like we sometimes think it does. We're the bottom of the barrel and you're going to get stepped on by med students, residents and attendings.

Shadowing is just as relevant to med students as it is to pre-meds.

People who use exclamation points instead of question marks.

Premeds ranting over stuff like this....
Overachievers in my classes that seem to get 100% all the time.