Do you know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deciding

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone participated in any wilderness medicine electives during their M4 year? I am trying to plan my fourth year out and am interested in doing some wilderness medicine electives as this is one of my big interests. I have looked at the Wilderness Medical Society’s website and run through those elective, the NOLS looks good but it is $4000, I mean come on. Has anyone done these electives or any others?

The other big thing is that my time is limited because my school is pathetic in the number of elective slots they provide during training.

Are there opportunities to do wilderness medicine during residency?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i did one in belize. it was around 2K for two weeks but totally worth it. i think you look for something like GMRS or some such thing. it's through U nebraska

deciding said:
Has anyone participated in any wilderness medicine electives during their M4 year? I am trying to plan my fourth year out and am interested in doing some wilderness medicine electives as this is one of my big interests. I have looked at the Wilderness Medical Society’s website and run through those elective, the NOLS looks good but it is $4000, I mean come on. Has anyone done these electives or any others?

The other big thing is that my time is limited because my school is pathetic in the number of elective slots they provide during training.

Are there opportunities to do wilderness medicine during residency?

Thanks

I did the U of Utah Wilderness Medicine elective... an absolutely awesome time... 2 weeks in April in Salt Lake City, class from 6-9pm M-Thurs (most of us went skiing during the day) , and during the middle weekend you go to Moab to do the hands on portion.

Here's a link to some other Wilderness Med courses... alot of the links are broken but you can google search for them

http://www.wms.org/studentgroups/sig_web_site/SIGResources/Electives/Electives.htm

ttac

Members don't see this ad :)
irrka said:
i did one in belize. it was around 2K for two weeks but totally worth it. i think you look for something like GMRS or some such thing. it's through U nebraska

I'm almost positive I know who this is - lost your phone number after we went caving in Kentucky, if you still have mine call me. We should go caving again sometime soon.

The Belize trip is at www.grmsltd.com - it's now a four week trip (they expanded it quite a bit). It's about the most badass thing you can do in med school. You'll spend lots of time learning wilderness medicine, but you'll also learn how to do lots of technical rescue tactics in caves, rivers, jungle, etc, as well as chain of command and mass casualty/disaster training that are useful if you ever do any sort of medical rescue or disaster work. Definitely worth the time and money, and it introduced me to recreational caving.

The one at New Mexico is well regarded as well. Just thought I would throw it out there. I didnt do it but thought you guys might be interested.

Thanks for all the input so far, this is great. The University of Nebraska (Belize) program looks great and I may give that a try.

The Utah program looks good, although I'm not sure how much they cover in just the evening session. Plus I would probably have to stay to do other research as my school has 4 week blocks. Maybe I could just do the research ahead of time and spend the other two weeks backpacking.

The New Mexico program also looks very thorough, though I'm not sure how much actual survival evacuation techniques they allow you to practice.

Has anyone done the Wilderness Medical Society's 4-week course? I like that one, but the way it is currently set up, I would not be able to do it due to dates. If they change the course by one week for the spring of 2008 then I'll be able to sign up.

Thanks

rxfudd said:
I'm almost positive I know who this is - lost your phone number after we went caving in Kentucky, if you still have mine call me. We should go caving again sometime soon.
Hey! i tried calling you before this crazy internship started but your voice mail kicked in. I did want to know how all the melodrama ended! (on edge of seat)Did you ever sign up for that spelunking thing where they let you go off on mapping trips? 'course SOME of us have sucky-not-even-q-4-but-some-random-arrangement call, and not 13 shifts a month :p but i'd love to go again. i looked up a NY caving thingamagig but never made it due to late rounding and somnambulistic general state.