do you list undergrad activities in cv/eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2007er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you list undergrad activities in cv/eras? this pertains to community services/awards, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely... although HS activities may not be as important (unless it's something you've continued with until now), undergrad activities may be very important. This is especially true if you have gone directly from college into med school (you're work/research experience may be less than others). Try to view your college activities from the point of view of the program. If you didn't know someone and you read about what they did in college, would you be impressed? bored? other? If you think it's important, put it in. If you think you're grasping at straws, maybe don't put it in. Just a thought.

2007er said:
do you list undergrad activities in cv/eras? this pertains to community services/awards, etc?

only the really big things. any research, phi beta kappa, stuff like that.

TUCOMSam said:
absolutely... although HS activities may not be as important (unless it's something you've continued with until now), undergrad activities may be very important. This is especially true if you have gone directly from college into med school (you're work/research experience may be less than others). Try to view your college activities from the point of view of the program. If you didn't know someone and you read about what they did in college, would you be impressed? bored? other? If you think it's important, put it in. If you think you're grasping at straws, maybe don't put it in. Just a thought.
Where do you add your high school activities/honors on the ERAS?

By all means, undergrad stuff can go on your ERAS, and just Phi Beta Kappa. Anything RELEVANT is the key. So, maybe not snorkeling club or whatever, but if you have teaching experience, community service, medical experience, basic science experience, put it on there.

DON'T put high school activities. If they are that important, they belong in your personal statement. If not, nobody cares.

don't put HS activities and be careful what undergrad stuff you put on. If there are excessive/irrelevant things there I dump the app. CV's should be concise.

Any thoughts on including the Eagle Scout award?...it was obtained in senior year of highschool and I thought it may pull some weight especially w/ the older generation of people reviewing apps....

Taus said:
Any thoughts on including the Eagle Scout award?...it was obtained in senior year of highschool and I thought it may pull some weight especially w/ the older generation of people reviewing apps....

Once, in 3rd grade, I beat the fastest runner in our class in a race during recess...should I list that too. Oh, and don't forget that poetry contest I won in 5th grade, it wasn't an official contest, my mother had us write a poem and we all won a cookie. Yeah. ;)

SpiritiualDuck said:
Once, in 3rd grade, I beat the fastest runner in our class in a race during recess...should I list that too. Oh, and don't forget that poetry contest I won in 5th grade, it wasn't an official contest, my mother had us write a poem and we all won a cookie. Yeah. ;)
thanks

2007er said:

Hi there,
The only undergraduate stuff I listed was my membership on my university's tennis and lacrosse teams. My jock stuff was more of source of conversation than anything else in my application. I still clean up for my department on those little interdepartmental tennis matches. Gotta love that serve and volly!

njbmd :)

SpiritiualDuck said:

eagle scout award's actually a fairly big deal...There are plenty of reasons why, you actually do learn a lot, and get a great deal of leadership experience and so forth on the way...but I guess the quickest way to explain it is he got it sr year in hs, 18 y.o. or so. You start working towards it when you're 11. How many 7 year committments do you have on your application?

Personally I have none.

(like the huge majority of kids that started out in scouts, I was nowhere near eagle and dropped out around 13..)

That said though, honestly I'm not really sure whether or not it should be included. It may be all right as a basic conversation starter or something? There really arent that many eagles around, and anyone who knows what it is has a lot of respect for it. So my point is that I don't really know, but just that it wasn't totally ludicrous ie mom's poetry contest.

SpiritiualDuck said:

holy **** thats f*ckin funny ahhaahhaha