Do you live on loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruvuitton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you're in medical school, do the students live off of loans to pay off bills for housing, living expenses, etc? Wouldn't it be a lot more difficult than undergrad to maintain a job while being a medstudent?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's pretty rare for a medical student to have a job since you really don't have the time to work. Some people have like side gigs like babysitting or whatever, but pretty much no one works a part time position.

Loans are enough to cover your living expenses as long as you are wise about your spending habits. You won't love luxuriously, but it's also not low enough where you have to eat ramen noodles everyday just to pay rent.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The school sets how much you will be able to take out in "federal student loans." For example, I interviewed at my state school and the financial aid office gave a little workshop about loans. They allow you to take out enough to cover all your tuition and fees + ~1800 a month for living expenses (cost of living in my state is really low). So you won't live extravagantly, but 1800/month is more than I currently live off of, so I am looking forward to being a "poor medical student."

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I'd say most live off loans unless they have mommy and daddy pay for everything. I'm not sure you would be able to work enough (in a legal job, haha) to support yourself while attending medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
For any current medical students, would it be possible to work a 12 hour shift each weekend?
Nearly impossible if you aren't willing to sacrifice a lot to do so. Unless it's flexible and you can pick up and drop shifts at will, it's tough to guarantee 12 hours a week to only work. Either your sanity, work or education will suffer.

For any current medical students, would it be possible to work a 12 hour shift each weekend?
I've heard that some schools explicitly forbid students to work, but I haven't looked into how true this claim is...

I've heard that some schools explicitly forbid students to work, but I haven't looked into how true this claim is...

I've heard similar stories. No confirmations, though. Honestly, I think it's in our best interest to take the darn loans (how much would you really make per year anyways?! It's a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost!), stress a *little* less, and just be able to only worry about school.

The school sets how much you will be able to take out in "federal student loans." For example, I interviewed at my state school and the financial aid office gave a little workshop about loans. They allow you to take out enough to cover all your tuition and fees + ~1800 a month for living expenses (cost of living in my state is really low). So you won't live extravagantly, but 1800/month is more than I currently live off of, so I am looking forward to being a "poor medical student."
This. Our school sets the loan limit based on expected living expenses. For example, they use a rent of $750/month as part of their calculations.

I'm using all loans/scholarships to pay for medical school and live off of.

I interviewed at some schools that explicitly forbid working for a fact.