1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do you meet SDN-esque pre-meds in real life?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Turkeyman, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

So I was thinking...people on this board are highly informed of public health issues, the medical field itself, various types of research, and of course the almighty application process *thunder flashes in the distance and a cow moos.* Yes, I know it's nothing new to realize that fact, and it's always been on my mind that SDN is a rather skewed representation of the applicant population. It's not hard to pick up either, you guys are geniuses!

At my University, almost everyone in my upper-level biology courses is going after a career in medicine. It's odd however...I haven't yet ran into one pre-med in real life who is as informed as the average SDNer. Most people currently applying still don't understand what AMCAS is, how secondaries work, what a personal statement entails, and yet they're going through the process as we speak. On top of that, very few understand key issues in healthcare(not that I do entirely, but SDN has certainly helped!) and current medical events.

I guess it goes to show that SDN has really helped(at least myself) raise standards in quite a number of areas that would have otherwise been quite troublesome to learn/integrate on my own. Sometimes, being thrown in the deep end with a bunch of gunners such as those on SDN(props!) really works to create an effective applicant/pre-med. In addition, the SDN-like "person" must be quite rare, considering I haven't yet run into another person who understands the nitty gritties of things to the point which I do(not that I understand much, but enough...thanks once again to SDN). Or maybe it's just my University :D.

Overall, this post was a rant on how uninformed many pre-meds are, but at the same time a thank you post to SDN.

So I guess, all at once, ThAnKYou SdN/I aM FrUStrATed BeINg A PerSOnAL prE-MEd AdVisor! EEE!

Anyone have similar experiences?

Fin

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i agree. ive learned a lot about issues in healthcare and about the app process that i wouldve never learned otherwise. there are ppl at my school who might know things but theyre few and far between, whereas everyone is clustered on sdn. great resource for sure. often ppl ask me barrages of questions in person and i feel pretty knowledgeable being able to field them, bc of what i glean from all of youse around here. its really given me greater insight and made the process easier. knowledge is power, no doubt about it. its almost like a premed honors club, where only serious and dedicated premeds loiter.

but the answer is no, i dont really meet sdn-like premeds in real life. i wish i could, and im always tempted to seek them out at interviews but never do. i wonder what percentage of them are bona fide sdners anyway. i cant talk about many topics with my real peers, so i have to come here for virtual peers who are up to the task.

4. Hausdaddy24

Hausdaddy24 Im that man fromNantucket
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow, its amazing how true that rings for me. Every pre med I know seems totally incompetent at anything related to the med school application/secondary/interview process. Come to think of it, I was too before coming to SDN.

5. tank you

tank you 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i was definitely one of those incompetent-premeds that was utterly confused and scared about how to apply and whatnot (not that im not anymore =p). most of the premeds i have met at my college dont even know about sdn, its a shame actually, this site has helped me soo much, i try to tell everyone i know thats interested in medicine about it. and if the shirts ever do come out, im definitely buying them to spread the word :)

6. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am out of college and do not speak to any real-life pre-meds on a regular basis (only the ones I have been seeign at interviews). SDN has helped me tremedously. I absolutely agree with Shredder: knowledge is power. Not only does the information here keep me on top issues and what is happening around the country, it keeps me accountable, on schedule, and much calmer about this crazy application year.

SDN is definitely the best pre-med advisor I have had. And I often hope that many SDNers end up being my classmates... there are such incredible and interesting poeple on here. I don't know aabout real life pre-meds, they all have seemed quite immature, clueless and inexperienced compared to the virtual pre-meds on SDN.

That's why I'm an SDN angel. (This isn't an advertisement... you do not need to become angels yourselves... I am simply pointing out that I value these forums to the point that I am willing to help fund them). This is not a trivial site.

7. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I agree with everything said here!

8. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

Yeap! I was actually planning on donating whenever I got accepted somewhere, or when this application cycle ended. I won't leave here without giving a little bit back :D.

9. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I have - but he also reads SDN. :laugh: SDN has made me WAAAAY more informed on all things related to applying. Some of my friends ask me some really basic questions, and I'm like, dude, you didn't know that?? :( you should've had your LORs written up months ago!!

10. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    By the time I decided to apply, study for the MCAT, et al I was so deep in college and I shouldn't have been able to get my stuff together and apply. But I did. Learned real fast through SDN. Most people can't sat that.

11. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Great post! :thumbup: In answer to Turkey's question, I have met multiple SDNers at interviews (sometimes on purpose, sometimes by chance, like Seattle here), and yes, they *are* incredible people that I, too, would be proud to have as classmates.

12. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've actually MET a fellow SDNer at an interview. :laugh: (How'z it going, Energyshotz?)

As far as people "IRL" that I know that fit the paradigm? Well, I know of 3 people that I knew outside of SDN that I later found out were SDNers, and they all fit the stereotype. On the other hand, I know a ton of people who are going through the cycle right now and are completely clueless and would benefit greatly from this forum (as I have). As far as "unverified, suspected SDNers", though? Not particularly. There're a lot of *******es at my school, surprisingly.

13. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I wish I'd known about this forum when I was an innocent little freshman, because I would have done things a lot differently.... However, I'm very thankful to be here, and if Harvard accepts me, I'll donate lots :D

14. CTSballer11

CTSballer11 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No I cannot say that I have. I have learned a ton here about healthcare, the application process etc. I am surprised to see people in some of my classes who are shooting for medical school and do not know much about the process. This girl in one of my classes was telling everyone that the only thing medical schools look for is your MCAT score. It is crazy to see how little some people actually know.

15. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    So far as I know I'm the only SDN'er at my school at least on the premed side of things. I am friends with a couple of predents who belong here, including one who was the subject of the "Where did he go" thread over on that side of this site. If there are any additional premeds from Indiana State, please let me know....it's kind of lonely over here ;)