Do You Moonlight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhobie7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a burlesque dancer?...um no, just kidding. Seriously though, do any of the residents on here moonlight, regardless of specialty? It seems like this could be done during the med school years of OMS. What are the penalties for this, if any? I'm curious to learn more about this secret underground society.

Members don't see this ad.

Most pedo programs I visited had residents who moonlighted 2nd year if they were interested.

drhobie7 said:
As a burlesque dancer?...um no, just kidding. Seriously though, do any of the residents on here moonlight, regardless of specialty? It seems like this could be done during the med school years of OMS. What are the penalties for this, if any? I'm curious to learn more about this secret underground society.

I wish...but we are in a relatively smaller university town and if I moonlighted it would probably cut into the pocketbook of my attendings. Our resident salary is definitely sufficient for the price of living. All resident live in nice houses that they own.... still, greedy (we like to call ourselve "proactive")people like me wouldn't mind moonlighting if there was an opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
esclavo said:
I wish...but we are in a relatively smaller university town and if I moonlighted it would probably cut into the pocketbook of my attendings. Our resident salary is definitely sufficient for the price of living. All resident live in nice houses that they own.... still, greedy (we like to call ourselve "proactive")people like me wouldn't mind moonlighting if there was an opportunity.

I guess I'll reveal it here to esclavo as well... I moonlight. sometimes its street corner dentistry, othertimes I run the clinic in the middle of the night. All those missing Ivy loops have been put to good use. Most of the time I'm doing veterinary OMFS which would explain all the hair and urine in the clinic every morning.... You'll be suprised how much it pays.

Bifid Uvula said:
I guess I'll reveal it here to esclavo as well... I moonlight. sometimes its street corner dentistry, othertimes I run the clinic in the middle of the night. All those missing Ivy loops have been put to good use. Most of the time I'm doing veterinary OMFS which would explain all the hair and urine in the clinic every morning.... You'll be suprised how much it pays.

You know what's funny is that a dog trainer told me there's tons of money doing dentistry for guard/attack/police dogs. Apparently it costs tens of thousands of dollars to train these dogs and if they break some teeth they are out of commission unless they get them restored. Doggy dental implants?

Reactions: 1 user
I moonlighted a TON during med school and made great money doing it. Med school is definately the easiest time....I moonlighted 20-30 hours a week. I stopped when I came back on service because that's the "policy statement" that I signed when I started...and I don't want to be the one they use to make an example to others. Probably half the guys in my program moonlight all 6 years.

So how much is typically made in moonlighting? 30K? I have heard everything from 6k to 50K on 2 days a month??? :confused:

GatorDMD said:
So how much is typically made in moonlighting? 30K? I have heard everything from 6k to 50K on 2 days a month??? :confused:
More towards the latter around here.

toofache32 said:
More towards the latter around here.

$50K working TWO days a MONTH? What are you doing, shucking thirds or running a meth lab? Seriously, even if its only $40K, that's $20K per day? How do you accomplish this?

LSR1979 said:
$50K working TWO days a MONTH? What are you doing, shucking thirds or running a meth lab? Seriously, even if its only $40K, that's $20K per day? How do you accomplish this?
LOL...I believe he is saying 50k a year doing 2 days a month.

adamlc18 said:

Yeah it was only sarcasm - retrospectively not even funny sarcasm though. Its late and I'm on a 36 hour study marathon.

I would rather clean urinals with my tongue right now than learn anything else about orofacial developmental cysts

adamlc18 said:

Moonlighting around a pole in a smoke-filled bar.... that's how.

Bifid Uvula said:
Moonlighting around a pole in a smoke-filled bar.... that's how.
I knew that was you waving those $1's at me. Cheap bastard...

toofache32 said:
I knew that was you waving those $1's at me. Cheap bastard...
I would have thrown an extra five for the mullet...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I would have thrown an extra five for the mullet...

Its not that he's got a mullet.... its where his mullet is that brings in the big bucks. People will pay anything for a good freak-show.

what's the going rate these days if you moonlight general dentistry?

Bifid Uvula said:
Its not that he's got a mullet.... its where his mullet is that brings in the big bucks. People will pay anything for a good freak-show.
LOL!!!