do you mouth the word(read quitely) to yourself when you do verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naixin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I has been doing this for quite a long time when I practice VR because I find it help me engaged in the reading and comprehend better although speed is compromised. Now that my verbal score is bad, I'm thinking whether this is a bad way of doing VR. Of course, I can skim on non-convoluted materials, but some MCAT passages are so difficult that I feel I have to read word by word. Actually there is one person who scored 13 on VR did this too, she just read out very fast.
Do you guys do this? What do you think of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest problem with mouthing each word when you read is not that it slows you down (which it does), but that you stop looking for the main idea. When you read a passage, you should speed up over details and slow down when you find the ideas. Most of the people I've talked to who mouthed the words didn't finish Verbal on time and their score reflected it.

If you find some passages are convoluted, try looking to the questions before you read the passage. That way you'll at least be focused on what is tested.

Personally, I try to reenact scenes during the VR section. For example, if I get a passage about medieval times on the VR section of my mcat im going to pretend im a knight and go around saying "WHOOSH WHOOSH" to people while theyre taking their exam as I wave my imaginary sword over their heads.

I did when I had a hard time understanding a question or answer choice.