jeejeejiji

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
I'm planning to get some goverment loans for my third and fourth year
after I get into dental school
For undergrad I didn't need to get any loans so I haven't used any loans up to
now But I wasn't sure if I would need good credit to get the stafford loan?
Because I don't have bad credit but I really don't have much of a credit at all :oops:

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
I dont think the credit affects the amount of stafford loan you get, but rather the interest you get that loan at. So the higher the credit rating the lower the interest you have on that loan. I have a 750 credit, so hopefully my loans will have 4% or lower interest :-D

OP
J

jeejeejiji

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
So does that mean that everybody 'can' get the stafford loan?
Would I have to call the fafsa for this information?
thanks!!!

DREDAY said:
I dont think the credit affects the amount of stafford loan you get, but rather the interest you get that loan at. So the higher the credit rating the lower the interest you have on that loan. I have a 750 credit, so hopefully my loans will have 4% or lower interest :-D

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
you had to have applied by march 2 with fafsa to be considered for next year's stafford loans.

the interest amount is the same for everyone since it's set by the federal govt. I believe now it is 2.77 according to the my last loan form.

And you can file fafsa later than march 2nd, it just has to go through the school later than usual and you're not eligible for perkins loans.

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
CJWolf said:
the interest amount is the same for everyone since it's set by the federal govt. I believe now it is 2.77 according to the my last loan form.

And you can file fafsa later than march 2nd, it just has to go through the school later than usual and you're not eligible for perkins loans.
oooops. then i guess your credit rating is important for getting loans from private institutions. You will get loans for private institutions, if you need more money than what the gov can give you right?

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
Status
DREDAY said:
you had to have applied by march 2 with fafsa to be considered for next year's stafford loans.
This is somewhat off topic, but how long does it usually take after filing fafsa to get specific info regarding loans? I filled in early feb and got my efc number, but haven't heard anything else. Also, were there other forms that I needed to file to be considered stafford loans (other than the basic fafsa)?

Thanks for your help. :)

bouncy_ball said:
This is somewhat off topic, but how long does it usually take after filing fafsa to get specific info regarding loans? I filled in early feb and got my efc number, but haven't heard anything else. Also, were there other forms that I needed to file to be considered stafford loans (other than the basic fafsa)?

Thanks for your help. :)
Once you fill out the FAFSA your school will send you your award letter letting you know how much you'll get, probably 38,500 ... then you pick your lender and sign the letter and they'll take care of the rest. Look for letters from your school.

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
jeejeejiji said:
I'm planning to get some goverment loans for my third and fourth year
after I get into dental school
For undergrad I didn't need to get any loans so I haven't used any loans up to
now But I wasn't sure if I would need good credit to get the stafford loan?
Because I don't have bad credit but I really don't have much of a credit at all :oops:
The worse case scenario is that you may need a co-signer for the loan.

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
Status
CJWolf said:
Once you fill out the FAFSA your school will send you your award letter letting you know how much you'll get, probably 38,500 ... then you pick your lender and sign the letter and they'll take care of the rest. Look for letters from your school.
Thanks , CJWolf!