Do You need Step 2 CK/CS when applying for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG from the UK, planning on taking Step 1 in January.

However, my question is, when I apply to NRMP/ERAS, do I need to submit Step 2 scores as well?

Does it depend on the hospital?

I'm just wondering if I should perhaps push back my Step 1 date to a later time? I'm only doing it January because I want to leave sometime to study for Step 2 CK/CS, before the application deadline of Dec.1.

I'm looking at matching on a J1 Visa....is Step 2 scores required at time of application for this?

TIA,

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IMG from the UK, planning on taking Step 1 in January.

However, my question is, when I apply to NRMP/ERAS, do I need to submit Step 2 scores as well?

Does it depend on the hospital?

It depends on the program. Some require Step 2. Some require an ECFMG certificate which requires passing the exams, a final medical diploma to even interview you.

I'm just wondering if I should perhaps push back my Step 1 date to a later time? I'm only doing it January because I want to leave sometime to study for Step 2 CK/CS, before the application deadline of Dec.1.

I'm looking at matching on a J1 Visa....is Step 2 scores required at time of application for this?

TIA,

Again, it depends on the program. Most FMGs are being counseled to investigate each program individually and consider having their ECFMG certificate at the time of application (not just at the time of the match), as programs are increasingly requiring it.

If you are applying for a start date of July 1, 2011, then you should have all your exams completed by September 2010, and preferably the ECFMG certificate (but you cannot get this until you have graduated).