Do you need to include your research in your personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sealfriendo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit amount of research in my undergraduate career. 2 years in a wet lab and 2 years in a public health lab. However, in my personal statement I simply make allusions to it. If i'm aiming for T20's, will I need to include that research has influenced my decision to go into medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done a fair bit amount of research in my undergraduate career. 2 years in a wet lab and 2 years in a public health lab. However, in my personal statement I simply make allusions to it. If i'm aiming for T20's, will I need to include that research has influenced my decision to go into medicine?
I have a substantial amount of research, including publications, but my personal statement talked about why I wanted to go into medicine, which involved more clinical and volunteering stuff. I tried to write an essay relating my research to why I wanted medicine, but it was weak (would have been a great why PhD essay). Let your ECs speak for themselves, or mention it in secondaries like "why X school" for top 20s.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a substantial amount of research, including publications, but my personal statement talked about why I wanted to go into medicine, which involved more clinical and volunteering stuff. I tried to write an essay relating my research to why I wanted medicine, but it was weak (would have been a great why PhD essay). Let your ECs speak for themselves, or mention it in secondaries like "why X school" for top 20s.
thanks m8. i appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to talk about them, you can definitely mark research as one of your most meaningful activities and talk more about it there.

I didn't mention my research in my PS AND I didn't mark it as most meaningful -> got into T20s lol.