do you need to know general microbiology for the usmle step1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slechts1Leven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need to know General Microbiology for the usmle step 1 or just Medical Microbiology?

The school I am going to allows undergrauduate Medical Microbiology and General Microbiology. At this school you do not have to take General Microbiology as a preequisite to take Medical Microbiologyt, but wils I be missing out on important information for step 1 preperation.

I know that I am still an undergraduate, but if I get into to medical school I want to destroy the Step 1.

TIA (thanks in advance )

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need to know General Microbiology for the usmle step 1 or just Medical Microbiology?

The school I am going to allows undergrauduate Medical Microbiology and General Microbiology. At this school you do not have to take General Microbiology as a preequisite to take Medical Microbiologyt, but wils I be missing out on important information for step 1 preperation.

I know that I am still an undergraduate, but if I get into to medical school I want to destroy the Step 1.

TIA (thanks in advance )

This is a new one: a premed worrying about step 1 performance. OP you should take whichever one you're required to by your major. It doesn't matter because you won't remember most of it by the time you actually take micro again in professional school.

TIA (thanks in advance )

Not to sound harsh but dude youre already screwed, you should be looking into Step 2 stuff by this point, you would be better off as a Dentist or as an Ibanker.

TIA (thanks in advance )

Take both. It's better to take a microbiology class than to take evolutionary biology or whatever random ecology class you might need to fulfill your biology requirements (assuming you're a bio major pre-med). That being said, you will probably forget everything you learned by the time you get to medical school (I've learned the Krebs cycle at least 7 times in my life and forgotten it a month or so later), but it makes relearning it the subsequent time easier and faster, most of the time. It would probably be more challenging to take medical microbiology without having any general microbiology background, but that is essentially what happens when you get to med school anyways since they spend probably a day going over general micro before delving into the medically relevant material. So, if you had to choose between the two and could only take one, take the medically related one. You probably won't miss out on much of anything and the relevant parts that you did miss out on will be covered in the introduction or in medical school. Hope that was helpful. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken both general micro and medical micro. They were both interesting, but I loved medical micro and it will definitely be more relevant. Take whatever is required for your degree and talk to classmates who've taken either of them what they thought. You probably aren't going to remember all of it for step I but it will be more familiar and hopefully come back faster when you hit it again in medical school.

worry about passing micro first, then passing the MCAT, then graduating....THEN applying for med school. geez.:mad:

TIA (thanks in advance )

Take an embryo class. highest yield s**t on step 1.