Do you need to take physics class for MCAT Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahoo2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone told me that physics on MCAT is pretty basic and that I can self-study physics and still can do well on that section. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want to do that?

You have to take physics anyway, why not take it before you do the MCAT?

I did it, and I did alright on my PS. Given, nothing exciting and no where near where most everyone on the board scores. I'm taking phys now and probably retaking mcat in April (if I dont get in this year).

Members don't see this ad :)
would def not reccomend that, physics is something which is very conceptual based. It is very hard to teach yourself concepts correctly without taking a class. Although I would still not even reccomend it for biology, i would say it is def more possible to pull of.

I got a 13 on my physics section, and I just started the class this year. I feel like I know the concepts pretty well, but I did have to study much more for the PS section than any other part. In short, its possible, but it would have been much easier to take the class first.

On the plus side, I'm finding my physics class ridiculously easy.

It's best to take the MCAT after having had all the prereqs. But if you can't or don't want to wait, a high school physics course is about all you need to understand MCAT physics.

The ONLY course I would have even considered not taking before the MCAT was Organic. Of course that is because when I took the MCAT it only had like 1 passage on Organic. Not knowing that before hand though, I would have been really nervous not taking the suggested courses. But some people of course are strong at physics, so if you think you are one of those types and think you can learn enough then go for it. Personally though, I would take all of the prereq's. before the MCAT.

Good luck! :)

Having physics really helps you but then again I didn't need physics 2 to consistently score high on PS. The material that the MCAT goes into is much more basic than what I'm learning now in my physics class after I took the MCAT.

I got a 13 on my physics section, and I just started the class this year. I feel like I know the concepts pretty well, but I did have to study much more for the PS section than any other part. In short, its possible, but it would have been much easier to take the class first.

On the plus side, I'm finding my physics class ridiculously easy.

Me too on the physics class = easy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm learning that much either. lol. Hopefully I'll learn enough to squeak out a couple points on that section if I retake in April.

I would love to have had only one organic question. I think a full third of my BS section was organic.

After taking 1st year physics and chem, I found the PS MCAT content extremely easy to learn.

The PS on the MCAT is way easier than the regular college stuff, but I do think someone without that experience could find it challenging to learn.

Careful how much stock you put in what other people "tell you." Best to do the research yourself and decide how basic it really is. That said, I've been out of school 5 years, and did not take physics in college. Taught myself mainly with the NOVA MCAT Physics book, and did OK. Of course, just because I did it doesn't necessarily mean you can too. It really depends on your learning style, how well you grasp the concepts, etc etc. It certainly can be done though.

I only took the first semester of physics before taking the MCAT and ended up with a 13. Like "The Nigal," I had to study physics more than the other topics, but I wouldn't say substantially so.

You can if you're good with physics and able to grasp the concept from textbooks. This is rare, few people I know are capable of doing this. I only know one guy that is capable of self-teaching himself........and yes he's in med school now.

IMO, go with a class (not necessarily a course at your school unless it's require).