Do you read the entire PS/BS passages or just skim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_T_

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what method you guys use..I know its probably not the right time since my exam is a week away but I'm just curious..

I usually browse through both PS & BS..with PS mostly cause I feel like I'm crunched for time even though I'm usually not but for BS I usually end with about an extra 20 minutes..

Do any of you guys read the BS/PS passages like it was a verbal passage?

Members don't see this ad.

PS I kinda skim.. BS I read.. I still end up with 15 mins left on BS though. PS not that much.. maybe 5 - 8 mins.

I skim through them the first time, I do most of my reading/comprehending when I refer back to answer the questions. Doing this gets me to finish on the mark or with a minute or so left.

Members don't see this ad :)
i used to skim for bio, but on the real thing i was definitely not able to do that.. u really had to comprehend the passages to answer the questions..

i used to skim for bio, but on the real thing i was definitely not able to do that.. u really had to comprehend the passages to answer the questions..

Did you end up having to use EKs strategy on Bio lol .. that would suck

I usually skim the PS and read the BS (just rather quickly). On the test, however, I found the PS to be in depth and I couldn't do the questions without reading the passage.

My last two CBT's I've gone in as though the entire test is reading based, and remind myself to rely on outside knowledge in PS and BS sections only (using "outside knowledge" was keeping my VR down). This strategy is working for me, my CBTs have shot up 5-7pts.

So, for those that have taken the MCAT, would you change your strategy to reading the passages on the actual MCAT?

I usually skim leaving me extra time but would it be better to just read it over once on the real one?

PS might be a problem then for me to finish.

On the actual MCAT (July 24th, yikes!)...

BS: look at figures/graphs/tables, speed read every word in the passage (more like "thorough skimming"), read each question, found myself rereading some paragraphs in the passage to get the answer

I didn't waste time trying to understand the passage with my first "speed reading" since a lot of questions were testing outside knowledge or had the neccessary info in the question stem. For passage-specific questions, they were often detail-oriented so rereading is neccessary. Finished with a minute to spare.

PS: look at tables, skim through passage noting equations variables and experiment steps, answer questions and refer to passage often... finished with two minutes to spare

VR: read through entire passage (each was 1-2 paragraphs longer than e-mcat's), answer questions (had to refer back to passage a lot), finished on the mark perhaps with seconds to spare.

Whatever you plan to do on the actual MCAT, do the same thing when you practice! Test day can be overwhelming in itself, you don't want to be trying out new strategies at that time.

On my test (6/15), the questions required knowledge of intimate details from the passages. Truthfully, I had to carefully read the passages two or three times when reviewing lest I didnt fully comprehend what was going on. Although I am definitely an advocate for skimming to get a general idea, be flexible on test day (which probably goes without saying).