Do you really need a degree B4 med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by moto_za, Apr 24, 2007.

1. moto_za

moto_za Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

I was wondering if you have to finish your bach degree before starting med school or is taking the pre-reqs and going to school full time for 4 years enough?

thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Why don't you finish a degree during those 4 years? If you spent that much time in school, you might as well get something to show that you did.

I don't think that you need anything more than pre-reqs, but it'll probably hurt you a bit in the admission process considering most people have degrees.

4. moto_za

moto_za Member
    10+ Year Member

right, but most people dont actually have their degree when they are applying...

5. Erina

Erina MS-IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    a lot of the schools that accepted me said the acceptance was contingent on successful completion of my degree. I don't think it looks good if you don't get your bachelors degree...although I'm sure some schools don't care.

6. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They also list an expected graduation date on AMCAS, so...

7. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbdown: False.

A Bachelors is absolutely required. If it weren't everyone who gets accepted woudl drop out of school. 20 years ago you could get away with it, but nowadays schools require you to complete your bachelors before matriculation. There may be some very, very, few exceptions, but I wouldn't count on it. If you're in such a hurry, pick a major that you could get out in 3 years with. Or, if you are really desperate to get into medical school without a 4 year degree, there is this one program: www.stewartmed.org

8. chandelantern

chandelantern MSI at Mayo in August!
    5+ Year Member

Check the MSAR for specific school requirements...there are a few out there who may accept and let you matriculate without a bachelor's but it is only a handful of schools. Some schools even require you complete a masters, PhD or other degree if you are currently enrolled in a degree-granting program, although this is more because they want to make sure you're committed and finish what you start.

Bottom line - yes, you will need a 4-year degree to matriculate into med school with very few exceptions.