Do you really need to be fluent in spanish to go to a med school in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Spanish in high school for 4 years, but I don't really remember anything, since I didn't use it for the last 3 years...if Spanish really is crucial, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be (very) helpful to know Spanish, but it is not an absolute necessity. You'll be fine.

I took Spanish in high school for 4 years, but I don't really remember anything, since I didn't use it for the last 3 years...if Spanish really is crucial, what should I do?

Apply out of state. California just sucks like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, CA has a vast array of people not just Spanish-speaking

I have never, ever heard that. And if it's true then it should be required in Texas as well. There's no way you have to know Spanish to go to med school anywhere in the US. Would it be helpful? Absolutely. Would you fly the med school's medical spanish class if they have one? Sure. Does any med school check your fluency in interviews? Doubtful.

Does any med school check your fluency in interviews?
Actually we've seen a number of tales here on SDN of applicants claiming to have language proficiency being "tested" during interviews by a native speaker. The only schools where Spanish fluency is required are those in Puerto Rico, though.

On a side note though, there is at least one residency program in California that pays you extra bucks each month if you are proficient in Spanish (Harbor-UCLA).

Or be hispanic.

I would worry more about how ridiculously competitive the CA schools are to get into rather than how well you can roll your Rs.

Even though it certainly isn't required, I've had many med students in the south tell me that learning Spanish to some degree is extremely helpful and should be done if possible. I'm assuming the same is true for Cali. I doubt it'll help you get in, but you bet your balls it'll help you during the clinical years.

Actually we've seen a number of tales here on SDN of applicants claiming to have language proficiency being "tested" during interviews by a native speaker. The only schools where Spanish fluency is required are those in Puerto Rico, though.

On a side note though, there is at least one residency program in California that pays you extra bucks each month if you are proficient in Spanish (Harbor-UCLA).

Well of course if you put it on your application that you're fluent you should expect that you may be asked to back that up, I meant checking for fluency as a condition of admission.

Even though it certainly isn't required, I've had many med students in the south tell me that learning Spanish to some degree is extremely helpful and should be done if possible. I'm assuming the same is true for Cali. I doubt it'll help you get in, but you bet your balls it'll help you during the clinical years.

What if you are a girl? Whose balls do you bet then?

What if you are a girl? Whose balls do you bet then?

Lips.

images

Thanks for the response. To rephras, would not knowing Spanish be a hindrance in potential admission to a CA med school??