Do you really need to get Orgo I to do well in Orgo II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmypharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took organic chemistry I and didn't do very well. It was a combination of things, but I was wondering is it possible for someone who didn't do well in Organic Chemistry I to do well in Organic Chemistry II? Do you REALLY have to understand the first half to apply in in the second half or is it possible to start afresh?

Members don't see this ad.

I took organic chemistry I and didn't do very well. It was a combination of things, but I was wondering is it possible for someone who didn't do well in Organic Chemistry I to do well in Organic Chemistry II? Do you REALLY have to understand the first half to apply in in the second half or is it possible to start afresh?

You'd probably get destroyed.

The way I look at it, Orgo 1 is like learning the language and basic syntax of sentence structure, while Orgo 2 is based that you understand how verbs, nouns, pronouns work and being able to identify the subject/predicate. To reading a sentence and being able to see that you should've use you're than your from reading the sentence.

If you still can't identify which element is driving the reaction and how it manipulates the molecule, Orgo 2 is gonna be a nightmare

This will help you out OP

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobileView attachment 208455

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say so. Those are hard classes and you really need to be in tune with the language in order to understand the reactions in orgo 2. You can do it

Yes, if you don't have a grasp of Orgo I, Orgo II will definitely DESTROY you. Everything from the first semester will build and have to be used in the second semester of organic, especially since you're dealing with synthesis.

....Organic I is definitely the foundation.....