Pharmypharm

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I took organic chemistry I and didn't do very well. It was a combination of things, but I was wondering is it possible for someone who didn't do well in Organic Chemistry I to do well in Organic Chemistry II? Do you REALLY have to understand the first half to apply in in the second half or is it possible to start afresh?

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
I took organic chemistry I and didn't do very well. It was a combination of things, but I was wondering is it possible for someone who didn't do well in Organic Chemistry I to do well in Organic Chemistry II? Do you REALLY have to understand the first half to apply in in the second half or is it possible to start afresh?
You'd probably get destroyed.

escanoke

5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2013
Boston,MA
Status
Pharmacy Student
The way I look at it, Orgo 1 is like learning the language and basic syntax of sentence structure, while Orgo 2 is based that you understand how verbs, nouns, pronouns work and being able to identify the subject/predicate. To reading a sentence and being able to see that you should've use you're than your from reading the sentence.

If you still can't identify which element is driving the reaction and how it manipulates the molecule, Orgo 2 is gonna be a nightmare

This will help you out OP

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobileView attachment 208455

Last edited:

Buk Lau

7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2011
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'd say so. Those are hard classes and you really need to be in tune with the language in order to understand the reactions in orgo 2. You can do it

Ph4rmacistJ

"We'll have it ready in about an hour"
2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Industry, California
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yes, if you don't have a grasp of Orgo I, Orgo II will definitely DESTROY you. Everything from the first semester will build and have to be used in the second semester of organic, especially since you're dealing with synthesis.