Do you recommend getting the vaccine right now? Have you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought everyone was waiting for the vulnerable and the health workers to get it but it seems my lab PI is wanting us to go get it.

330 million Americans. I'm also low risk, test weekly and live alone. A serology test showed i have an immune response though that it may have been cross reactivity. I don't feel I'm a priority and am in no rush. Though it might give me an edge for clinical opportunities...and I wonder if denying it would look bad to the PI.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I get my second dose on Thursday and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Protect yourself and those around you

Reactions: 15 users
Thought everyone was waiting for the vulnerable and the health workers to get it but it seems my lab PI is wanting us to go get it.

330 million Americans and 9 million (?) vaccines. I'm also low risk, test weekly and live alone. I don't feel I'm a priority. Though it might give me an edge for clinical opportunities...
If you can get it, get it.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine!

Reactions: 1 users
Got mine, get my second dose in January 10th. No negative interactions or side effects other than injection sight pain the day of.

Reactions: 1 user
I get my second dose on Thursday and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Protect yourself and those around you
Just want to note it doesn't stop you from spreading so you have to exercise the same precaution around others.

I was going to say what Goro did. If you can get it, get it.

I'm so jealous of you people who have access! I don't!

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan is for everyone to get it as quickly as possible - which means you should get it as soon as you can. Got mine last week and had a dull headache and fatigue for 3 days. Happy I didn’t have any interviews hehe

First dose made my arm feel like someone punched it hard, but 100% worth

Reactions: 3 users
Just want to note it doesn't stop you from spreading so you have to exercise the same precaution around others.

Yea. Well aware. Still protects those around you by limiting exposure vectors.

Get it if you are able to. I get my second dose this week. After the first dose I had fatigue, muscle/joint soreness, and a mild headache for a few days but it's 100% worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are at a bench-to-bedside institution,even if you are in a basic research building that sees no patient traffic, your still an employee under a hospital or other healthcare institution, qualifying you for a vaccine (though you are not prioritized getting a vaccine over frontline healthcare workers at your institution)

Yes and yes

I’ve gotten my first dose, second coming end of January. The only side effect was a pretty sore arm for 3 days. Would take that over pneumonia and intubation any day.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Technically this isn’t true: no data has been released regarding the vaccines effects on transmission. It may be protective, it may not. We don’t know yet, therefore exercise precaution.

It's ultimately up to you to make your own risk benefit analysis. Do you live in a high density community? Are you constantly in close proximity to at risk individuals or elderly? Do you have your own risk factors to take into account? Are you comfortable with the data at this point in the game? Maybe some yes's maybe some no's. All personal factors to consider.

Yes, like others said above, any side effects of the vaccine are better than the effects of actual COVID infection

Got mine yesterday. just a sore shoulder so far, just like a flu shot.

getting the first dose in a little more than a week...unfortunately it's not till after my first interview. Hopefully I continue to stay safe!

I don't feel I'm a priority and am in no rush.
Every single person who receives the vaccine contributes to the end goal of immunity in your community. Be grateful for the opportunity and get your vaccine. There is a reason you are getting one despite not being a healthcare professional: you are required for the functioning of a healthcare organization and could potentially infect others at your work, disrupting the operation of the organization.

FYI to all: I've heard from people that I work with that the second dose is the one that more people feel side-effects with. I'm definitely planning accordingly for when I get my second dose.

• Wow
FYI to all: I've heard from people that I work with that the second dose is the one that more people feel side-effects with. I'm definitely planning accordingly for when I get my second dose.
I definitely felt worse after the second dose but that last less than a day

Got my second dose Friday. Minor pain around injection site and minor fatigue x2 days

Got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday, less injection sight pain than the first dose and no side effects other than I took a glorious 3 hour nap yesterday.

Got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday, less injection sight pain than the first dose and no side effects other than I took a glorious 3 hour nap yesterday.
got it today. feel a bit more tired than usual. heading to bed in an hour 😁

Here's another segment of unexpected history lesson with JKS!

In the1950's and 60's, a drug known as thalidomide was prescribed to pregnant women to mitigate their symptoms of morning sickness. Turns out the drug company didn't realize thalidomide comes with two enantiomers, one of whose stereoisomers interferes with organogenesis of a fetus and causes birth defects ("flipper babies"). This prompted the federal drug administration to extensively devise a plan for future pharmacology clinical trials, which now compose of 4 trials. On average, most drugs that enter FDA clinical trial fail at their first trial, and even ones that do pass all the clinical trials take years to be FDA-approved.

Back to the present, the Pfizer and Moderna COVID vaccines were developed at an accelerated rate and recently entered phase 4 clinical trial (market testing). We know it works short-term but know almost nothing about its long-term side effects (2-3 years down the road). I work in one of nation's top immunology lab, yet our PI also doesn't have a good answer to these questions.

With that being said, I believe in the science and its numbers, which are great so far! I had to take my COVID vaccine shots (obviously because I work in an immunology lab LOL) but with a grain of salt not knowing its long-term effects. But if you're refusing to take vaccine because you're "injecting yourself with COVID" like few of my colleagues, that's a bad excuse for a soar arm.

• Okay...
Back to the present, the Pfizer and Moderna COVID vaccines were developed at an accelerated rate and recently entered phase 4 clinical trial (market testing). We know it works short-term but know almost nothing about its long-term side effects (2-3 years down the road). I work in one of nation's top immunology lab, yet our PI also doesn't have a good answer to these questions.

This is not really true. While this specific mRNA vaccine is new, mRNA vaccines are not. They have been in human trials for a decade, and a trial that ran from 2013-2016 had been tracking long term safety data since 2013. There have not been any long term side effects from that trial (that’s 8 years of data now). So while we are still early in the covid vaccine data gathering, the mRNA tech—which is the same for this vaccine as the others that were in human trials—has a lot of long term data.

Let’s try to keep things factual here.

Reactions: 5 users
This is not really true. While this specific mRNA vaccine is new, mRNA vaccines are not. They have been in human trials for a decade, and a trial that ran from 2013-2016 had been tracking long term safety data since 2013. There have not been any long term side effects from that trial (that’s 8 years of data now). So while we are still early in the covid vaccine data gathering, the mRNA tech—which is the same for this vaccine as the others that were in human trials—has a lot of long term data.

Let’s try to keep things factual here.
Can you share a link to this literature?

Also...the long term effects of COVID are a worse risk. We're spending the coming years practically living in hospital. I'm just assuming if I don't get the vaccine I'm likely going to get COVID instead. Makes it a very easy choice.

Can you share a link to this literature?

I’m at school right now, but here are a few:

mRNA vaccines against H10N8 and H7N9 influenza viruses of pandemic potential are immunogenic and well tolerated in healthy adults in phase 1 randomized clinical trials (mRNA flu vaccine trials from 2015-2017, no serious adverse effects or long term effects)

Safety and immunogenicity of a mRNA rabies vaccine in healthy adults: an open-label, non-randomised, prospective, first-in-human phase 1 clinical trial - PubMed (mRNA rabies vaccine from 2013-2016–this is the one where they have continued to track long term data and have not seen long term side effects)

Reactions: 5 users