Do you regret for studying medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was watching a videotape called <<MD: making of a doctor>>.

Among the total four males, two of them got divorced before they finished their internship.

None of them enjoyed the intern period, etc. They were under paid, and had to work 80, 120 hours a week.

so I am just wondering if there is anyone that regret for studying for medicine completely?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking to many upperclassmen, residents, and practicing MDs, you get the feeling that somewhere along the training to be a physician the medical student will doubt his ability to continue, whether it was a good decision to begin medical school, and whether the practice of medicine is altogether worth it.

And then second-year hits and you experience it ALL OVER AGAIN...
smile.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

perhaps the better people to ask would be practicing doctors, and those who quit med school. Those of us in the thick of it are not such good responders to your question, because we're still pursuing it without seeing overall results yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I sound like a broken record that keeps repeating: "get clinical experience!" But I think that many of the med students and practicing docs that realize that medicine is not for them, could have made that discovery a lot earlier in their lives if they had worked in a hands-on patient care setting. Preferably in a teaching hospital. I thought medicine was a wonderland until I worked as a PCT. The cold hard truth is not always pretty, and unfortunately, many people decide they can't handle it too late in the game. By that point, most people would probably just suffer through it, since they have already invested so much time and effort, as well as money! It may be these doctors who we all recognize as jerks; and the ones that always seem to be in a bad mood!

I agree fully with Mango. We have had 10 people quit this year already because it isnt 'what they expected.' The first year you are taught by PhD's, the second gets better being more clinically oriented and taught by MD's. Then 3rd/4th year hits and you are on call all the time. And talking to the residence seems to be overly depressing.

So, am I going to quit while I am still ahead? HECK NO! I do agree that you should have clinical experience before applying. Why do you want to be a MD if you have no idea what it is all about..pressure at home, money (which I hope isnt the case)?

Anyway, I worked in the ER for 3 years in undergrad as a nurse assistant. No matter how 'scut' the work is in 3rd/4th year, it cant match up to what I did as a nurse assistant. And despite all that, I am actually missing working in the ER. I miss the patients and the clinical work.

Of course, I am not near residency yet, but I absolutely LOVE medical school. Maybe because it was something I worked at for a long time and I am finally here, but the team work and the closeness to your fellow classmates is so rewarding.

I say this alot, but I do think that you can help out your 4 years by researching the medical schools that you are applying to. They are all very different(competition between students, size of class, ect)
and that can affect how you will adjust to the school. As for residency, unfortunately, it is something that we all have to hurdle over and the issues are in continuous debate about the lack of sleep and the saftey of the patients. Who knows, maybe one day things will change, but for now, you have to know what is ahead and knowing this and accepting it is very important in your attitude and adjustment when you get there.

I hope this helps

------------------
~Pegasus~

Damn, Pegasus, you've had ten people drop already? Out of a class of how many? That seems really high to me. So far we've lost no one, but it's clear looking around that a lot of the people are doing this because of family pressures. They are the ones I expect to be least happy with the profession. Having spent 2 years working in a county hospital, I'm anxious to get past the basic sciences and back on the wards!

We have a similar situation here too. Five people (out of 160) have left the class either from flunking out or personal reasons. And that was just after the first year.

mr_sparkle

Fiatslug,

Our class is about 160-170, if you count the students who are second year decelerated. The ones that I have talked to who decided to quit were older students who were coming to school after having several years past undergrad experience and jobs. One person didnt like the lack of clinical experience and another just missed having the weekends free. None of these had families though, but I can imagine that a family would be an added pressure.

------------------
~Pegasus~

I'm an MS1 at CCOM. Last years MS1 group were 10 down at the end of the year. Two went to MD schools, 1 failed academics, and the others quit.

What do you mean "two went to MD schools?"

Reapplication?

W.

Originally posted by turtleboard:
What do you mean "two went to MD schools?"

Reapplication?

W.

Tim:

One student from my class transferred to an MD school as well. He transferred after his second year. You don't need to re-apply. All that was required was that he pass the USMLE Step 1 before the transfer.

LT

Yes, I know some LCME schools will consider transfers into the MS3 year from AOA schools, but the poster wrote of two MS1s who "went to MD school." Technically this is impossible through a transfer since most, if not all, MD schools don't consider transfers into the MS2 year (only MS3 if space allows).

This is TECHNICALLY possible through re-application, however, but I wonder what an applicant's reason might be to convince the AdCom that his transfer isn't for something stupid (like he wants to be an MD and not a DO and it took him one whole year to realize that).

W.

Originally posted by turtleboard:
Technically this is impossible through a transfer since most, if not all, MD schools don't consider transfers into the MS2 year (only MS3 if space allows).

This is TECHNICALLY possible through re-application, however, but I wonder what an applicant's reason might be to convince the AdCom that his transfer isn't for something stupid (like he wants to be an MD and not a DO and it took him one whole year to realize that).
W.

Tim,

This does happen more often than most people realize. My first year of medical school, we had someone transfer after the first-year to a MD school. At least in Texas, as long as one's grades are good, and there is space available, other Texas schools will consider transfers. By the way, the reason for transfer had nothing to do with MD vs DO, but with needing to be closer to his family for medical reasons. Interestingly, it doesn't work the other way around. If an MD student wanted to transfer to TCOM at the end of the first year, they would have to repeat the entire year I curriculum to make-up for the OMM.

Raise your hand if you think that chick with weird hair on temptation island has a kickin body...but yet a girl you would never want as a girlfriend.

Ok, just asking. As you were gentlemen.

On a bright note, our MSII class is 40% married, several of my classmates got married over this past year, (2 couples to each other). We have had 2 divorces out of a class size of 240 but this is not statistically significant. We also have had several new moms and dad's. School is what you make of it. There is stress but if properly counseled it can be controlled w/o affecting family/social lives.

Please remember, stress is part of life. I can not think of one past job I have had that never had any stress associated with it!
I am glad I chose medicine for each day I dive deeper into unraveling the human mystery of life and realize just how lucky I am to understand its miracle.

Cherish the BIG picture. If you want to go to medical school pursue it! If you want to stay together in a relationship make it a point to have a date night every week (I forgo this on final weeks but make up for it the next week). Lastly communication is of utmost importance! At UHS-COM we have an awesome counselor who is very in tune with the students he probably see's over 1/2 of our class at least once every 6 weeks (that is the length of our test blocks)and has us time manage, encourages venting about the problem, and lastly encourages us to exercise and find at least 20 min/day to relax!

Good luck in your ventures
smile.gif
Diane

<hand raising>
I agree that pre-medical school clinical experience is a good idea, especially if you (and I use you here to indicate anyone reading this post who may be having the same question as youngjock) have any lingering doubts as to whether or not you can handle it. While on the subject of tv, I will bring up last night's episode of ER. Mr. White (the med-school applicant) said something on the episode that I had never realized before. He saw the procedures as "having holes drilled in his head" and "sawing off his legs." Never in my life have I ever viewed these procedures in that light, but rather as necessities to maintain life. I think that if you see surgical procedures in the same light as he did, then maybe you should get some clinical experience before medical school to see if it is what you want to do.

[This message has been edited by hatcher (edited 02-23-2001).]