Do you start with a new GPA in professional pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

generics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, after you finish pre-pharmacy and have gotten accepted to professional pharmacy school do you start with a clean slate as in your pre-pharmacy gpa doesn't matter anymore? If someone could answer this question, I'd appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering, after you finish pre-pharmacy and have gotten accepted to professional pharmacy school do you start with a clean slate as in your pre-pharmacy gpa doesn't matter anymore? If someone could answer this question, I'd appreciate it. :)

Yep. I can't imagine why an employer would want to know your pre-pharm GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't.

And unless you pursue further education after you get your Pharm.D., chances are nobody will ever ask what it was.

On my resume, I have written that I graduated from Stanford and UC Davis and their respective GPAs, along with the Summa honors for UC Davis... so there certainly is a place for it on one's resume.

However, if you're looking to "conceal" it, then there's no requirement to disclose it once you have your Pharm.D., no.

The only reason I can think of why it might not reset is if you're in a 0-6 program where you transition directly from pre-pharm to professional at the same school. Even then I couldn't say for sure. It would be interesting to find out for sure. Those that take you for professional school only, as far as I know, do start your GPA back at 0.00.

I thought so too but I wanted to be sure. It's been hell trying to get my GPA up after my undergrad days! I'll be happy to get a clean slate. :)

In terms of employment I would use my Pharmacy GPA. I have no idea about scholarships and such. Good question. Anyone know?

In terms of employment I would use my Pharmacy GPA. I have no idea about scholarships and such. Good question. Anyone know?

Actually for employment I don't think GPA matters a lot. For some pharmacy schools, like the one I attend they do offer scholarships for people with high GPA. GPA also matter a lot when you are applying for residencies. However for retail employment I don't think it matters all that much.

For the 0-6 pharmacy schools I don't think so.

However if you graduated from undergrad with a bachelor's degree and then apply to a pharmacy school somewhere else then it would be a clean slate.

I think it depends on the school. I know at the University of Texas- Austin Pharmacy school, your GPA doesn't start over. It continues from your undergrad.