Do you study MMRS during the crunch month, how do you get through it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salma123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

A lot of ppl say read microbiology made ridicuosly simple for Step 1, how do you manage to read such a huge book in only few days even if you are reading it second time.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand why people have always said to use MMRS for Step 1. If you use it to understand things it's fantastic as it explains everything clearly. But as a board review book (i.e., high yield review), i think it's very inappropriate - at least that's been my experience.

I would really only use it as a reference. Or read it only if there's sufficient time before the boards.

Hello

A lot of ppl say read microbiology made ridicuosly simple for Step 1, how do you manage to read such a huge book in only few days even if you are reading it second time.

I read it in five days, but wasted some time. Probably if I was maximally efficient could have read it in 3.5-4 days, but might not retain as much. One week later, I've forgotten a lot of the details, but hopefully some of that residual memory will stick around for the exam. It doesn't seem to emphasize the same points as FA.

I read it during M2 but not during board review. I simply didn't have enough time to read the entire thing in my month before the boards. I read FA and reviewed sections of MMRS. I think the real key is to do lots and lots of questions. I started out doing terribly on UW (like 30-40% in micro) but now i consistently hit 70-80% on micro and it's been one of my best sections on NBME.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started to read it then realized it would be too much, I got the microcards instead to supplement FA.

I spent two full days (at least 12 hrs each day) reading MMRS and annotated the info into FA. And so far, it's worked fine for me. If you haven't used MMRS before, it may be difficult for you. I used it during my Microbio class during the year and loved it then, so I knew I was going to use it for Step 1.

no did not take it yet, but from what I've seen Usmleworld questions were all answerable using these books. And I always base my book selection on what can answer the tough UW Q's.