do you tell people you go to an "osteopathic" medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

All of this will be moot.

Members don't see this ad.

When you apply for residencies, they'll all know you're a DO. When you are in residency you White Coat will say, Joe Smith, DO (or Dr. Joe Smith). Either way DO docs are the only ones using Dr. Joe Smith, MDs all put the MD after their name.

If you can't stand to talk about it, then go to Truck Driving School. Noone will ask you any questions when you say, "I'm in Truck Driving School." That is a conversation ender right there.

Monitor said:
When you apply for residencies, they'll all know you're a DO. When you are in residency you White Coat will say, Joe Smith, DO (or Dr. Joe Smith). Either way DO docs are the only ones using Dr. Joe Smith, MDs all put the MD after their name.

If you can't stand to talk about it, then go to Truck Driving School. Noone will ask you any questions when you say, "I'm in Truck Driving School." That is a conversation ender right there.

Your full of crap. Go away troll.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna' tell girls I meet in bars that I'm a plumber.

Plumbers make more money than doctors.... :laugh:

Portier said:
I'm gonna' tell girls I meet in bars that I'm a plumber.

Plumbers make more money than doctors.... :laugh:

I think I'll take a crack at that...(ha! ha! get it?)

Shodddy18 said:
Your full of crap. Go away troll.

Did you mean, "You're" full of crap. Go away troll... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Invest in Grammar Checker Champ :D :D :D

PS - Trolling is Bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Monitor said:

This is a false statement.

In most cases, when you see a hospital with "Dr." on the white coat--> both MD's and DO's have this. It is typically standard.

OSUdoc08 said:
This is a false statement.

In most cases, when you see a hospital with "Dr." on the white coat--> both MD's and DO's have this. It is typically standard.

Your statement addressing my statement is a FALSE statement.

Reference the following thread:

"Why do DO's hide their credentials from the public?" Posted by DASTA - This is an ongoing concern among DOs.

As an MS-II you don't have enough experience to know what is Standard. I've NEVER seen an MD use Dr. __________ on a white coat. That includes MGH, Joslin Diabetes, Dana Farber, Beth Israel, Brigham and Women's, and Boston Children's...

Monitor said:

"Why do DO's hide their credentials from the public?" Posted by DASTA - This is an ongoing concern among DOs.

As an MS-II you don't have enough experience to know what is Standard. I've NEVER seen an MD use Dr. __________ on a white coat. That includes MGH, Joslin Diabetes, Dana Farber, Beth Israel, Brigham and Women's, and Boston Children's...

I've been a paramedic for 5 years, and have been to at least 50 hospitals. It is true for those in Texas and Oklahoma that I have been to. This may be true for New England, but not the South/Midwest.

My status as an MS-II is irrelevant, due to my previous experience.

This might be the second time I agree with OSUdoc08... I have seen plenty of MDs that just write Dr. _______ on their jacket and not MD at the end. It's not unique to DOs. Nor does it matter what someone puts on their coat... cause the vast majority of doctors I know dont wear their white coat anyways. It has been my experience that it's primary just the residents and medical students that do wear white coats.

medme93026 said:
do you tell people you go to an "osteopathic" medical school, which leads to a discussion of osteo vs allo? or do you just say medical school to save the trouble, although might be a tad deceiving because you know they will be assuming allo.

D.O. schoola are also med schools u know--then why is it deceiving?

The word osteopathic sure throws people off sometimes.

The other day a friend asked, Why are you studying so much for a masters degree?

Monitor said:

actually my dad has a coat that says just that. Dr. (insert my last name here) did you have a point somewhere within your diatribe of folderol?

almost every clinician i can think of at PCOM has a D.O. after their name, including visiting clinicians for lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
im very happy to be going to an OSTEOPATHIC school.

when ppl ask me, i tell them medical school student is what i am right now. if they ask where, i tell them kcumb, the osteopathic medical school in kansas city.

i plan to put DO after my name on my coat...

Reactions: 1 user
surrender903 said:
actually my dad has a coat that says just that. Dr. (insert my last name here) did you have a point somewhere within your diatribe of folderol?

almost every clinician i can think of at PCOM has a D.O. after their name, including visiting clinicians for lectures.

1 : impractical, unnecessary, or excessive trimming, finery, or effects : pretty but flimsy or useless ornament : something that is unnecessary : TRIFLE, GEWGAW *a gas or electric range and other folderols of an effete generation Della Lutes* *the new collections of custom furs around town reveal plenty of folderol, but there are practical things too Lois Long*
2 : nonsensical talk or action : PIFFLE, NONSENSE *the rest of the play T is a windy collection of improbable motives and costumed folderol Newsweek*

cooldreams said:
im very happy to be going to an OSTEOPATHIC school.

when ppl ask me, i tell them medical school student is what i am right now. if they ask where, i tell them kcumb, the osteopathic medical school in kansas city.

i plan to put DO after my name on my coat...

Exactly! People do not need to be "embarrased" about becoming a DO. Whether you are an allopath or an osteopath - you are a physician first and foremost. Even if there are slight differences and sometimes misperceptions - wear it proudly. (You are not comparing a PhD. in Rocket Science to an Associate's in liberal studies - you are talking about two fully recognized and equivalent medical degrees)!

And to respond with my two cents - I have worked at two different hospitals and volunteered at one. Of the three of them, one used the format of XXXX, M.D. or XXXXX, D.O. and the other two used Dr.________. In fact, at one of institutions, even their name tags simply stated their full name with Physician in a "box" under it (no degree stated) - and these were all allopathic institutions, by the way.

Oh, well, where have the days gone when people cared more about what they would be able to do as a physician to make the world a better place, rather than over what title is placed on their lab coats?

Portier said:
1 : impractical, unnecessary, or excessive trimming, finery, or effects : pretty but flimsy or useless ornament : something that is unnecessary : TRIFLE, GEWGAW *a gas or electric range and other folderols of an effete generation Della Lutes* *the new collections of custom furs around town reveal plenty of folderol, but there are practical things too Lois Long*
2 : nonsensical talk or action : PIFFLE, NONSENSE *the rest of the play T is a windy collection of improbable motives and costumed folderol Newsweek*

could you please clarify what you meant with your post? i dont want to misinterpret.

Monitor said:

I just thought I'd post these links of DOs. Just look closely at their coats.

https://medschool.mc.vanderbilt.edu/facultydata/php_files/show_faculty.php?id3=11615

http://www.unr.edu/med/residency/lasvegas/surgery/faculty/Jay_Coates.asp

http://www.unr.edu/med/residency/lasvegas/surgery/faculty/David_MacIntyre.asp

You're a *****

My coat has DO after my name.

Some of the attendings in the hospital I'm at have "Dr So-and-So" instead of their initials after their names, some of which are MD's, some of which are DO's. So it's not like having "Dr So-and-So" is only a DO thing.

I am damn proud of my DO degree.

dasta said:
The world has been brainwashed through history that the only people who are true doctors are M.D.'s, thereby disenfranchising via word alone all those others who have also done doctoral work: DO's, OD's, PhD's, ND's, EdD's, chiropractors, ScD's, etc. When someone says doctor, people naturally think "medical doctor," hence M.D.

When somebody says "doctor" it's reasonable for people to think medical doctor (M.D.) instead of any of those other degrees. A D.O. degree is not what usually comes to mind and usually needs explanation as why it's equivalent to an M.D.

But, in my opinion, DO's are also responsible for their own obscurity through their behavior of hiding their credentials and avoiding explaining that DO's are medical doctors, too. At my doctor's office and in the surgery wards, all the DO's wear lab coats or scrubs that say "Dr. _____" while all the MD's wear lab coats that say "____ M.D." Why not say "____ DO"? I recently saw book by "Dr. Tom Yee", a DO, while all the other medical books written by MD's say things like "_____ M.D." Why? I saw a newspaper ad for a DO plastic surgeon. Dressed in scrubs, smiling, but no where on the ad does it say DO except in small print. His scrubs say "Dr. Craig ____." Why doesn't it say, "Craig ___ DO"

As long as DO's hide their credentials the rest of the world is never going to know what DO's are and what they can do vis-a-vis MD.s Training more DO's helps, but DO's need to stop hiding who they really are from the public, who are the ones to disseminate what DO's are like.

This is very true.

DOtobe said:
My coat has DO after my name.

Some of the attendings in the hospital I'm at have "Dr So-and-So" instead of their initials after their names, some of which are MD's, some of which are DO's. So it's not like having "Dr So-and-So" is only a DO thing.

I am damn proud of my DO degree.

Wow. There are MDs out there that hide their credentials? I wonder why they hide the fact that they went to a "medical" school instead of an "osteopathic" one.

Interesting... Maybe they wanted to go to DO school but couldn't and had to settle for MD school (perhaps in the Caribbean?) and now they hide their credentials.

Shinken said:
Wow. There are MDs out there that hide their credentials? I wonder why they hide the fact that they went to a "medical" school instead of an "osteopathic" one.

Interesting... Maybe they wanted to go to DO school but couldn't and had to settle for MD school (perhaps in the Caribbean?) and now they hide their credentials.

The hospital gives you your white coat as a resident. You don't decide what is written on there.

This is standard across the board for MD's & DO's. It is not an issue of hiding your credentials.

Chief Resident said:
When somebody says "doctor" it's reasonable for people to think medical doctor (M.D.) instead of any of those other degrees. A D.O. degree is not what usually comes to mind and usually needs explanation as why it's equivalent to an M.D.

This is very true.

Dont you have anything better to do with your uneducated time... like cleaning up roadkill or playing in traffic?

Go away and grow the funk up :thumbdown: Dont come back until you are in medical school. :idea:

OSUdoc08, I was being sarcastic.

I find it amusing that when MDs have "Dr." in their coats, it's OK.

When DOs have "Dr." in their coats, it's because they're hiding their degree and ashamed of what they are.

Pretty funny stuff. I love SDN. It's a great comic relief in between "osteopathic" classes.

Chief Resident said:

This is very true.

And dude, regardless of what is written on your coat some day, the people that you interact with will realize you are an idiot. Not that they will be patients because I have a feeling that the only coat you will have is one of those green seven eleven jackets.

Shodddy18 said:
And dude, regardless of what is written on your coat some day, the people that you interact with will realize you are an idiot. Not that they will be patients because I have a feeling that the only coat you will have is one of those green seven eleven jackets.

Shodddy18 said:
Dont you have anything better to do with your uneducated time... like cleaning up roadkill or playing in traffic?

Go away and grow the funk up Dont come back until you are in medical school.

Sounds like you are a little sensitive about your degree. I was agreeing with what another poster was saying and you go off in an angry rant. You need to get used to some people questioning a D.O. degree and some who may ask you to explain what your degree is since it's not the M.D. they are used to.

Chief Resident said:
Sounds like you are a little sensitive about your degree. I was agreeing with what another poster was saying and you go off in an angry rant. You need to get used to some people questioning a D.O. degree and some who may ask you to explain what your degree is since it's not the M.D. they are used to.

I am proud to be in an osteopathic medical school. I am not sensitive about that at all. What does piss me off is uneducated bigots like yourself who come onto the osteopathic forums and fill it up with your crappy uneducated thoughts so the rest of us have to wade through it all the time while trying to read about something we are actually interested in. You misrepresent yourself as someone who actually knows what they are talking about, but the fact of the matter is you are not a chief resident, you are not a doctor, you are not in medical school, you haven’t graduated college, you may still be in high school. The fact of the matter is that your opinions are worthless. Why don’t you go back to the pre-allo forum and try to incite arguments over there.

Shodddy18 said:
I am proud to be in an osteopathic medical school. I am not sensitive about that at all. What does piss me off is uneducated bigots like yourself who come onto the osteopathic forums and fill it up with your crappy uneducated thoughts so the rest of us have to wade through it all the time while trying to read about something we are actually interested in. You misrepresent yourself as someone who actually knows what they are talking about, but the fact of the matter is you are not a chief resident, you are not a doctor, you are not in medical school, you haven’t graduated college, you may still be in high school. The fact of the matter is that your opinions are worthless. Why don’t you go back to the pre-allo forum and try to incite arguments over there.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Shodddy18 said:

You need to loosen up and not take screen names so seriously. Most people aren't their screen names. If it was true that they were then you must be an 18 year old shoddy person and others would be the animals and inanimate objects they're named after. Look at my other posts around SDN and you'll see I am in med school. If you believe me or not makes no difference though. Who's to say you're really in med school just because you claim MSII in your signature. Stop jumping all over people because they have opinions different than you, it only perpetuates the overly defensive stereotype of DOs when their degree is discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.