Do you think admissions committees take this into consideration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothgirl86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT twice, and both times, I took it while taking a full load of classes. I know that some people take a semester or a year off to study for it, so they'd probably end up with better scores, but do you think admissions committees will notice that I took it while taking classes?
Thanks in advance for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT twice, and both times, I took it while taking a full load of classes. I know that some people take a semester or a year off to study for it, so they'd probably end up with better scores, but do you think admissions committees will notice that I took it while taking classes?

It's doubtful that, with all they have to look at, most adcoms would actually think to check and see what else you were doing when you chose to take the DAT to see if that's why your scores were lower than they'd like. But that doesn't mean that "no" adcom does. If you're worried about it, maybe try to bring it up during an interview.

they will notice that you took it while taking classes but it probably wont help you, and if anything it would be more likely to hurt you. remember that you will have to take boards during dental school and most schools dont give any time off to study for it. so i wouldnt use that as an excuse, otherwise they will think that you cant handle a full class load plus studying for board exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
One school asked me "What did you do to prepare for the DAT" and that is a time when you can bring up that you were doing school, so it might have affected it. I would try and take it when you arn't taking any classes. I made the mistake of working 40 hours a week and trying to study for the DAT only giving myself a month... I got good scores, but not the best idea.

Your scores are great, and you've already been accepted somewhere! Congrats!

No, I don't think schools will care if you were taking classes while you took the DAT...if it was a problem the first time, why did you make the same mistake twice? Either way, your scores are nice and you may likely get even more acceptances than the one you already have...

You have a valid argument to make that you could not devote your entire attention to studying for the DAT due to your classes. However, there are probably people who have high class loads or even worse, families to care for and still do well on the DAT. My advice, don't use that for an excuse at an interview or you'd get eaten alive.