Do you think as a dentist you should have perfect teeth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alaskan _Polarbear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have relatively straight teeth except for my one cuspid which sticks out a bit. Because of this i never really wanted to drop $2000 on invisaglin/braces.

Is it worth it in the long run to get my teeth straightened as I find it a little ironic if i tell my patients to get straight teeth but my teeth are not. Or does this really not matter to patients as much as i think it does.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The question is...what can happen to you (or your patients, if you are a dentist), if the teeth are not "straight".

Define "perfect teeth."

The question is...what can happen to you (or your patients, if you are a dentist), if the teeth are not "straight".

Define "perfect teeth."

Well in terms of perfect teeth i guess it would be straight as that is was people view aesthetically pleasing

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent that amount of money on invisalign to correct my rotated number 7. Took me 17 weeks and that was a perfect timing as I ended up selling invisalign cases to my patients and use myself as an example ‍;)

Reactions: 2 users
Doesn't matter because you're behind a mask most of the time anyway. Maybe if it helps your self confidence, but as a practicing dentist, you talk a lot and having those appliances can be a professional/speaking nightmare. Any photos you have out in the media can be easily photoshopped. What matters more is that you don't have perio breath.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter because you're behind a mask most of the time anyway. Maybe if it helps your self confidence, but as a practicing dentist, you talk a lot and having those appliances can be a professional/speaking nightmare. Any photos you have out in the media can be easily photoshopped. What matters more is that you don't have perio breath.
Well, invisalign never gave me a hard time in regard to talking. Just sharing my experience but have noticed many people have a hard time talking while having the trays in specifically pronouncing specific words :)

The answer depends on if you plan to go into...
...a cosmetic dental boutique practice. = Yes
...public health, community clinic, military, etc. = No

I have relatively straight teeth except for my one cuspid which sticks out a bit. Because of this i never really wanted to drop $2000 on invisaglin/braces.

Is it worth it in the long run to get my teeth straightened as I find it a little ironic if i tell my patients to get straight teeth but my teeth are not. Or does this really not matter to patients as much as i think it does.
So no heart surgeons can be fat? Or no ugly plastic surgeons?

A dentist i know got veneers for his top 6 teeth and left the bottoms alone

I don't know. When I practiced ortho privately ... it was almost a requirement for ALL of my staff to have braces or aligners if they did not have perfect teeth. I had braces for 3 years late in my life. Patients can identify with ortho tx when they see the Dr and staff with braces.

One of my best referral sources ran a cosmetic and sleep practice next to my office. He had the WORST teeth. Huge 4-5mm anterior diastema, deep OB causing upper incisor protrusion. I begged him to allow me to treat him with braces or aligners. He said no.