Do you think as a dentist you should have perfect teeth?

Alaskan _Polarbear

2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2018
I have relatively straight teeth except for my one cuspid which sticks out a bit. Because of this i never really wanted to drop $2000 on invisaglin/braces.

Is it worth it in the long run to get my teeth straightened as I find it a little ironic if i tell my patients to get straight teeth but my teeth are not. Or does this really not matter to patients as much as i think it does.

Last edited:
About the Ads

Awisdomtooth

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2012
CA
  1. Dentist
I spent that amount of money on invisalign to correct my rotated number 7. Took me 17 weeks and that was a perfect timing as I ended up selling invisalign cases to my patients and use myself as an example ‍;)

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 21, 2004
Doesn't matter because you're behind a mask most of the time anyway. Maybe if it helps your self confidence, but as a practicing dentist, you talk a lot and having those appliances can be a professional/speaking nightmare. Any photos you have out in the media can be easily photoshopped. What matters more is that you don't have perio breath.

Reactions: 1 user

Awisdomtooth

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2012
CA
  1. Dentist
Doesn't matter because you're behind a mask most of the time anyway. Maybe if it helps your self confidence, but as a practicing dentist, you talk a lot and having those appliances can be a professional/speaking nightmare. Any photos you have out in the media can be easily photoshopped. What matters more is that you don't have perio breath.
Well, invisalign never gave me a hard time in regard to talking. Just sharing my experience but have noticed many people have a hard time talking while having the trays in specifically pronouncing specific words :)

Rambunctious

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2011
  1. Dentist
I have relatively straight teeth except for my one cuspid which sticks out a bit. Because of this i never really wanted to drop $2000 on invisaglin/braces.

Is it worth it in the long run to get my teeth straightened as I find it a little ironic if i tell my patients to get straight teeth but my teeth are not. Or does this really not matter to patients as much as i think it does.
So no heart surgeons can be fat? Or no ugly plastic surgeons?

Aug 3, 2017
North Scottsdale, Arizona
  1. Dentist
I don't know. When I practiced ortho privately ... it was almost a requirement for ALL of my staff to have braces or aligners if they did not have perfect teeth. I had braces for 3 years late in my life. Patients can identify with ortho tx when they see the Dr and staff with braces.

One of my best referral sources ran a cosmetic and sleep practice next to my office. He had the WORST teeth. Huge 4-5mm anterior diastema, deep OB causing upper incisor protrusion. I begged him to allow me to treat him with braces or aligners. He said no.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.