Do you think being overweight decreases your chances of getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
picture-2.png

srsly, this photo makes me cry

Members don't see this ad.

would you say Jadzia Dax is type A and really DRIVEN?

Well, Jadzia was extremely driven when it came to being joined... that's for sure. Even though she was basically told she didn't have what it takes to be joined, she tried again and went through the program twice so she could be joined to the symbiont. I think one has to be pretty driven to get through Starfleet training, as well, and to care enough about the crew to do everything she did. Type A.... meh, probably pushing it for her but that is probably because the Dax symbiont is pretty powerful, Curzon was the most recent host and he was pretty quirky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Jadzia was extremely driven when it came to being joined... that's for sure. Even though she was basically told she didn't have what it takes to be joined, she tried again and went through the program twice so she could be joined to the symbiont. I think one has to be pretty driven to get through Starfleet training, as well, and to care enough about the crew to do everything she did. Type A.... meh, probably pushing it for her but that is probably because the Dax symbiont is pretty powerful, Curzon was the most recent host and he was pretty quirky.

why do you think worf and jadzia could not conceive a child?

Calories in and calories out is LOL worthy though

Unless everyone carries calculators, annoys people, and counts how many they put out =P

I can't name a single calorie I put in, nor can figure out how many I put out. But then again, I'm trying to live a normal life, so I don't care about that. Only sticking to 3 meals and a jog :D

Calories in and calories out is LOL worthy though

Calories in and calories out is one of those things that while technically accurate is almost meaningless. Basal metabolism is a huge amount of the calories out (lol na/k atpases).

But yeah, there are not that many chubby med students. I am quite obese personally. I also think it's more self selection than medical school preference, because at least when seeing the people that interview at my school and my own time on the interview trail, athletic to slightly slightly overweight describes by FAR most. There are more than a few overweight people in my medical school class. Only two or three others that I think probably meet what most people would consider obese (and probably the BMI category as well).

I think people interested in medicine tend to be more health conscious. Alot of the dental students have really nice teeth too >>

Are you kidding? Where is it publicly acceptable to mock someone for being fat?

Meanwhile, I hear comments all the time about being thin (usually from fat women) that I don't appreciate.
Dam thats soo true!! Its ok for fat people to mock a skinny guy/girl but when the tables are turned its rude? I hear the jokes too but notice its only from fat chicks, so I cant say anything back or Im labled a jerk.:thumbdown:

I hate to admit it but I did not see alot of chubby or fat people on my interviews. I think it is because the vast majority of us are vain anyway. We have already picked a competitive field, and I think alot of us like to look good in our free time. I do not think anyone should be discriminated against becuase of it, but how can you tell a patient to loose weight, eat right, and excercise if you are not doing it?

that was a very insensitive statement. How are YOU ever going to help a patient lose weight with that attitude.

The OP should do whatever it is that she wants. If that means she's happy the way she is, then there is nothing wrong with that. Im sure she is aware of how to lose weight or be healthier if she feels the need to do so.

Anddd my suspicions were concerned. You are just a pre-med.
I would bet my life that you're a chick. Typical statement.

I would bet my life that you're a chick. Typical statement.

I'd guess her views will likely change once she's actually out practicing. I can't say that I know too many politically correct physicians (unless they've never actually practiced for any significant period of time away from academia). Most practicing physicians I've met would probably have said that very thing (although probably in a slightly more socially acceptable manner and maybe just in the nurse's station and out of earshot of any pts).

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. I totally missed the milk-steak reference.

I think the moment I fell in love with Charlie was way back when the gang had a dance off and he showed off his sexy dance skills. He's adorable!

I've been in a deep bromance with him ever since the Pepe Silvia episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kUK9Dq1n0) . Oh and last summer I went to the World Cup in South Africa, and this is what my friends and I were singing at the USA games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lKoo8jJzYs

Dam thats soo true!! Its ok for fat people to mock a skinny guy/girl but when the tables are turned its rude? I hear the jokes too but notice its only from fat chicks, so I cant say anything back or Im labled a jerk.:thumbdown:

Yeah.. Slim hotties like me are constantly **** on and oppressed and ugh I just can't stand it anymore!

Whenever I take my shirt off, girls always mock my six pack and hurl their half-eaten sandwiches at me.

Ugh :mad:

hey tabascosauce, is your avatar a picture of you or a joke picture?
If it's a picture of you, I gotta say, you're the first emo/scenester pre-med I've ever met. :thumbup: :laugh: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lol. I totally missed the milk-steak reference.

I think the moment I fell in love with Charlie was way back when the gang had a dance off and he showed off his sexy dance skills. He's adorable!

I've been in a deep bromance with him ever since the Pepe Silvia episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kUK9Dq1n0) . Oh and last summer I went to the World Cup in South Africa, and this is what my friends and I were singing at the USA games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lKoo8jJzYs

I love how this thread went from obesity to Always Sunny. Let's face it - in the end everything comes back to Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

One of my personal Charlie Kelly favorites: “Here's a confession: I’m in love with a man. What? I’m in love with a man ... a man named God. Does that make me gay? Am I gay for God? You betcha.”

I love how this thread went from obesity to Always Sunny. Let's face it - in the end everything comes back to Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

One of my personal Charlie Kelly favorites: “Here's a confession: I’m in love with a man. What? I’m in love with a man ... a man named God. Does that make me gay? Am I gay for God? You betcha.”

Great episode.

Everyone knows weightloss is about calories in, calories out...and watching Sunny in Philadelphia.

Calories come in, calories go out... you can't explain that.

Yeah.. Slim hotties like me are constantly **** on and oppressed and ugh I just can't stand it anymore!

Whenever I take my shirt off, girls always mock my six pack and hurl their half-eaten sandwiches at me.

Ugh :mad:

hey tabascosauce, is your avatar a picture of you or a joke picture?
If it's a picture of you, I gotta say, you're the first emo/scenester pre-med I've ever met. :thumbup: :laugh: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

theres a lot of us. i just am the only one that frequents sdn. hit us up on xanga and live journal

Great episode.

Everyone knows weightloss is about calories in, calories out...and watching Sunny in Philadelphia.

I've got so many pictures that I would love to link into this thread. It's taking a lot of strength to resist.

LOL one of my favorites as well. "I've got the good lord all up inside me! (singing)"

LOL one of my favorites as well. "I've got the good lord all up inside me! (singing)"

I was soo going to write that quote and resisted.

The force is strong with you young Vandy.

Meanwhile, I hear comments all the time about being thin (usually from fat women) that I don't appreciate.
Men and women alike also will criticize thin women aloud by throwing around the terms 'eating disorder' and 'anorexia'. It definitely goes both ways. :thumbdown: Just like how thin people assume overweight people are lazy, overweight people assume thin people are "just naturally skinny." Both annoy me.
so much truth. I am constantly hearing from coworkers and friends about my weight. I would like to eat in peace too, thanks. and yeah, I go to the gym, every day, for at least an hour.

Not sure who has smaller violins around here, the fatties or the skinnies.

+pity+
the skinnies, obviously. :p

and as usual, no love for the middle child (aka the in betweenies).

stop the hate!!

the skinnies, obviously. :p

and as usual, no love for the middle child (aka the in betweenies).

stop the hate!!

I dunno, but I've been told...obesity is good for the Earth:

epic-fail-eco-board-game-trivia-fail.jpg

OTOH, a bit more research turns up the fact that per moment they ARE alive, overweight people cause more global destruction:

Thinner is better to curb global warming, study says (2009)

Do Obese People Aggravate Global Warming? (2008)

Fat people causing climate change, says Sir Jonathan Porritt (2009)

By the sound of it, the Apocalypse will not be caused by some astroid, comet, volcano or some other cosmic or otherworldly force, but by gluttony! :laugh:

I would say that in my class there are very few obese people. I am barely in the BMI obese category but I have a healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly. Personally I battle 2 endocrine diseases that make it difficult to lose weight (PCOS and Hypothyroidism). I am working hard to pull off a few pounds but it is tough with the conditions and time challenges associated with medical school.

I had a physician who was morbidly obese once give me the diet/exercise spill and I found it very hard to really take her seriously considering her size. I'm sure if an ad com was interviewing and the individual clearly looked seriously unhealthy they might consider it but a slightly overweight women who isn't even plus sized shouldn't worry about it.

I would never give a stamp of approval to an obese person.

How about the simple fact that exercising makes you smarter? There are numerous studies showing increased BDNF, decreased activity of cytokines, and increased growth in Dentate Gyrus. Why wouldn't you try to be in shape? BAM!
There we have it. Discussion over...
charlieday_GtD1.jpg

Putting Always Sunny aside for a second, whether or not one's weight or physical appearance is going to affect their admissions chances takes the human factor into account. The whole admissions process is somewhat of a random crapshoot, because you never know who's evaluating or what they might look at in a negative light. It's not a perfect world, and some people will hold that kind of thing against you. Is it right?? Probably not. Is it a reality of the admissions process - you bet. Now, you could argue all you want that people won't do that or shouldn't do that, but in the end it doesn't really matter. In the end, that's the human factor that you have to deal with.

My personal belief is that you should try to set an example for your patients and live a healthy lifestyle as best you can. However, I also don't believe that you need to have bodies like Heidi Klum or Brad Pitt to do that.

Back to Always Sunny:

Charlie: This bar runs on trash. It's totally green now.
Dennis: How is burning trash green?
Charlie: I could stick it in a landfill, where it's gonna stay for millions of years, or I could burn it up and let it disappear into the sky where it turns into stars.
Mac: That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.
SFGuy2011: lolz

Back to Always Sunny:

Charlie: This bar runs on trash. It's totally green now.
Dennis: How is burning trash green?
Charlie: I could stick it in a landfill, where it's gonna stay for millions of years, or I could burn it up and let it disappear into the sky where it turns into stars.
Mac: That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.
SFGuy2011: lolz

Oh, easily a top 3 quote :laugh:.

How about the simple fact that exercising makes you smarter? There are numerous studies showing increased BDNF, decreased activity of cytokines, and increased growth in Dentate Gyrus. Why wouldn't you try to be in shape? BAM!
There we have it. Discussion over...
charlieday_GtD1.jpg

Like. poke...

When I first read the title of this thread I thought "That's a crazy question to ask!!! :eek:" but the more I think about it, the less crazy it sounds.

I have noticed that very few people who I've seen at my interviews (both the interviewees and the med students) are overweight or obese.

However, I doubt the admissions committee is looking at an applicant thinking, "Hmm...if only you were 20 pounds lighter than you are now you'd be the perfect doctor...REJECTED"

I think a lot of it has to do with the age group. One research survey says that "more young men and women in the 16-24 age group have a 'desirable' BMI of between 20 and 25 than any other BMI category. Men of this age are twice as likely to be underweight as they are to be obese". So I think that this plays a big part.

Regardless, I know plenty of doctors who are overweight and obese (and were so even when they were younger) who are excellent doctors, so I think that the schools who discriminate based on weight are making a mistake.

Reactions: 1 users
...I have noticed that very few people who I've seen at my interviews (both the interviewees and the med students) are overweight or obese.

I think a lot of it has to do with the age group...

You also don't see a lot of obese Indians and Asian individuals, regardless of age group. Multiple thread memes combined!

success_baby.jpg

Depending on how obese you are, you may not fit in the school. UMass has a pretty big revolving door, so you could definitely get in there.

Don't apply to Penn though: absolutely no double doors in the school.

:laugh: I'm now using this as my signature!!! :laugh:

Ok, try this one on for size: 428 pound, 6'1 male with pre-diabetes and hypertension. Do you think an admissions committee would admit someone like this?

When I first read the title of this thread I thought "That's a crazy question to ask!!! :eek:" but the more I think about it, the less crazy it sounds.

I have noticed that very few people who I've seen at my interviews (both the interviewees and the med students) are overweight or obese.

However, I doubt the admissions committee is looking at an applicant thinking, "Hmm...if only you were 20 pounds lighter than you are now you'd be the perfect doctor...REJECTED"

I think a lot of it has to do with the age group. One research survey says that "more young men and women in the 16-24 age group have a 'desirable' BMI of between 20 and 25 than any other BMI category. Men of this age are twice as likely to be underweight as they are to be obese". So I think that this plays a big part.

Regardless, I know plenty of doctors who are overweight and obese (and were so even when they were younger) who are excellent doctors, so I think that the schools who discriminate based on weight are making a mistake.

Why aren't they taking excellent care of themselves?

My school has admitted some seriously obese students.

So to answer the OP's age old question, no, Adcom do not hold it against interviewees if they're overweight or obese. Hell, 1/3rd of the country is in that pool (50% in the state of MS).

Ok, try this one on for size: 428 pound, 6'1 male with pre-diabetes and hypertension. Do you think an admissions committee would admit someone like this?

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on how obese you are, you may not fit in the school. UMass has a pretty big revolving door, so you could definitely get in there.

Don't apply to Penn though: absolutely no double doors in the school.

Brings a whole new meaning to the idea of "fitting" a school

Why aren't they taking excellent care of themselves?

Million dollar question. If you can nail this one down, you will put many psychiatrists out of a job :p (well, probably not, but for dramatics, you get the point).

Not to come off as a dick, but if your overweight it represents some major self control issues.

Unless you have a preexisting condition, being overweight and going into the medical field seems a little bit ironic.

Does it give you a disadvantage, I doubt it...just look at all the attendings who are obese. It is in the minority, but it is there.

In reference to the sunny in Philadelphia quotes:

maybe they are just cultivating mass ;]

Not to come off as a dink, but if your overweight it represents some major self control issues.

Unless you have a preexisting condition, being overweight and going into the medical field seems a little bit ironic.

Does it give you a disadvantage, I doubt it...just look at all the attendings who are obese. It is in the minority, but it is there.

In reference to the sunny in Philadelphia quotes:

maybe they are just cultivating mass ;]
Repped.